IOM Referendums a suggestion

Just now, Steve_Christian said:

I still don’t understand why people don’t stand up and state who they really are on this forum and use their real name. 

Because there are petty people out there who if they disagree with your opinion will go out of their way to make life difficult for you, contacting your employer things like that. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Because there are petty people out there who if they disagree with your opinion will go out of their way to make life difficult for you, contacting your employer things like that. 

But it’s just your opinion, and as long as it’s not breaking the law (racist, deliberate bullying etc.) there would be no case to answer, and your employer would be legally unable to take any action. I think that allowing anonymity allows people to act in a way that’s often immoral and leads to bullying. Which I think everyone would agree is abhorrent. Just my opinion (feel free to contact my employer) 

Edited by Steve_Christian
Spelling
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

Do you think that you should have the option to call a halt to your own suffering as your health deteriorates?

Thats a simple yes or no.  Enough yes votes and they further examine the details and technicalities, enough no votes and they don’t bother and just scrap it.

I would like to think that most sane and rational people would be in favour.

I am in favour of assisted dying. 

But if the question is “do you agree with what Tynwald propose”, and I don’t think Tynwald go far enough, do I vote yes or do I vote no?

We’ve seen this mess with Brexit. “Do you want to leave the EU?” is a simple question but, because of its simplicity, never actually addressed what people actually meant by their yes vote.

It’s why I don’t like referenda.

1 hour ago, Steve_Christian said:

I still don’t understand why people don’t stand up and state who they really are on this forum and use their real name. 

Because some of us have employment contracts with provisions about the airing of controversial opinions on social media.

Whilst it’s probably not enforceable, I’d rather not have to test it through our useless Employment Tribunal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reason I think a referendum was not the way to go is that the MHK s have spent a lot of time studying this bill, amending it and discussing it they have knowledge that the general public have not as well as it is their job to make decisions on important issues that is why they were elected.    A lot of people on social media are asking for a list of names of the MHK s that voted for or against the referendum proposal the press seem shy to print it.    

Just now, Fred the shred said:

The reason I think a referendum was not the way to go is that the MHK s have spent a lot of time studying this bill, amending it and discussing it they have knowledge that the general public have not as well as it is their job to make decisions on important issues that is why they were elected.    A lot of people on social media are asking for a list of names of the MHK s that voted for or against the referendum proposal the press seem shy to print it.    

I couldn't find that either, but the voting is shown above. 

18 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

Manx Radio:

The 11 MHKs who wanted to see a referendum were: Rob Callister, Alfred Cannan, Claire Christian, Ann Corlett, Julie Edge, Tim Glover, Kate Lord-Brennan, Jason Moorhouse, Andrew Smith, Chris Thomas and John Wannenburgh.

The 12 MHKs who voted against a referendum were: Alex Allinson, Clare Barber, Daphne Caine, Tim Crookall, Joney Faragher, Michelle Haywood, Lawrie Hooper, Tim Johnston, Sarah Maltby, Stu Peters, Jane Poole-Wilson and Juan Watterson. 

FYI

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

But it’s just your opinion, and as long as it’s not breaking the law (racist, deliberate bullying etc.) there would be no case to answer, and your employer would be legally unable to take any action. I think that allowing anonymity allows people to act in a way that’s often immoral and leads to bullying. Which I think everyone would agree is abhorrent. Just my opinion (feel free to contact my employer) 

And for most normal people they can have a debate and see the side of the other person whilst not necessarily agreeing with them but for a minority any disagreement is taken as a personal insult and it doesn't matter whether what was said was offensive etc they will deem it offensive and try to make your life difficult. I have had it before after trying to explain to someone on facebook why something hasn't happened. I was called a bigot and they contacted my work, ok it never went anywhere but it was still a hassle I didn't need 

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

And for most normal people they can have a debate and see the side of the other person whilst not necessarily agreeing with them but for a minority any disagreement is taken as a personal insult and it doesn't matter whether what was said was offensive etc they will deem it offensive and try to make your life difficult. I have had it before after trying to explain to someone on facebook why something hasn't happened. I was called a bigot and they contacted my work, ok it never went anywhere but it was still a hassle I didn't need 

Being self-employed has at least given me one perk! 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Being self-employed has at least given me one perk! 

Fair play but even that has pitfalls, someone just bad mouthing your business, you see it all the time on social media, someone putting on a  review of a restaurant for example and people just take it as gospel and are like oh I won't be going there 

• Like 1