IOM Referendums a suggestion

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Fair play but even that has pitfalls, someone just bad mouthing your business, you see it all the time on social media, someone putting on a  review of a restaurant for example and people just take it as gospel and are like oh I won't be going there 

Bloody hell Thommo, lighten up mate.

I have plenty more for my critics to be mad at, they just need to be patient! My view for what it's worth is, that if you can stand by your comments with conviction, that's good enough for me. So long as you are willing to apologise if you're proved wrong. If the apology isn't accepted, fuck em! I am happy to post under my own name, but couldn't give two hoots if someone chooses to use a pseudonym. Unfortunately, occasionally some choose to over step the mark, but mostly it's rather entertaining and long may it continue. 

For balance, there are plenty of things that I want to comment on, such as the DfE spending £20k recently, specifically courting South Africans. However, because I use my real name I choose not to voice these concerns; I don't want anyone to do a Gubay on me 🙄.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Fair play but even that has pitfalls, someone just bad mouthing your business, you see it all the time on social media, someone putting on a  review of a restaurant for example and people just take it as gospel and are like oh I won't be going there 

There was a guy last year that was a teacher at Ballakermeen who was essentially put on furlough for a few months after Nick Crowe made a bunch of (proved false) paedo claims about him, following a spat on social media. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I was called a bigot and they contacted my work, ok it never went anywhere but it was still a hassle I didn't need 

It doesn’t make anonymity an excuse though and a lot of things are better on Facebook where it is people expressing real opinions under their own names. Thats happened to me too about 2 years ago and it’s usually some sad case not someone who is going to create problems for you. Luckily the idiot was actually put through to me on a call to my work. He was clearly stupid enough not to realize it was my company. Hello I’m some whiney little tit I’d like to complain about something someone who works for you said on Facebook. Bye. Click. 

Edited by Idleweiss
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

If you listen to the sound clip, it's a portrait of a man desperately trying to avoid making a decision - or at least being seen to be doing so.  Clearly he'd afraid that however he votes in Tynwald, he alienate some potential voters, though he admits most are in favour.  So he blathers on about it being a 'distraction' from delivering the Island Plan.  As if that wasn't just a load of time-wasting hot air itself and as if MHKs were spending most of every week passing important legislation rather than turning up for a couple of hours most Tuesdays to listen to Jason Moorhouse fail to get answers out of Ministers.

And of course if you're claiming that something is 'divisive', then the best way to make it more so is to have a referendum on the same day as the General Election and so make that the centre of the whole campaign, no doubt with the fanatics who are always going on about it dominating every meeting and discussion to the exclusion of everything else.  And indeed everything else for the next two and a bit years.

We seem to have a generation of politicians for whom the only thing they know is how to kick the can down the road to avoid the slightest hint of conflict.  It also explains why so many mad projects are allowed to continue, because standing up to the civil servants promoting them would involve both conflict and having to do some of their own research.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Yes Gladys but the alternatives were truly a no go, it would have meant not voting.  

Yes, but this is democracy and, in our case, the failure of our particular type of democracy.  Anyone can stand for election and the choice is by the electorate.  

The problem is we have an apathetic electorate, who are beguiled by 'that nice lady who said she would make sure the lamp-post outside my house would get fixed.'

It is a flawed system we have that is really nothing more than a beauty parade; whoever takes your fancy is the winner.  Nothing to do with a deliverable manifesto or discernible party policy. 

• Like 4