Quango wasting money

The NPM have been slow on the journalism front and have picked up a story which has been known about for some considerable time. It was about Finance IOM sponsoring a gala dinner in London for the South African Chamber of Commerce, to the tune of £20,000 of no doubt, IOM taxpayers hard earned money. 

Yes, I can see some benefit of why it is has been done - in the hope more South African new residents and businesses relocate here. However, when the island is facing a somewhat challenging financial squeeze, and increased charges, taxes and stealth taxes, the optics of sponsoring a gala dinner doesn’t reflect well - somewhat would argue, how out of touch. Perhaps, the IOM Chamber of Commerce should have sponsored the dinner, so as not have created negative headlines and saved taxpayers money. 

From the NPM - 

More than £20,000 of taxpayers’ money was spent on sponsoring a gala dinner in London earlier this month.

Finance Isle of Man was the platinum sponsor of the 2024 South African Chamber of Commerce Annual Gala Dinner on 19 June.

The event, which cost £185 per person and took place at Mansion House, was fully booked. 

The agency, which is part of the Department for Enterprise, spent £15,000 on sponsorship.

Another £2,326.76 was spent on travel expenses which included £1,804.92 on hotels and £521.84 on flights.

Promotional items came in at £2631.50.

This included £900 worth of miniature gin, £330 of honey, £400 worth of popcorn and promotional booklets which cost £659.50. 

Gift bags and ribbon cost the department £342 and shipping the items to the UK cost £50.

The information has been released following a Freedom of Information request from an undisclosed individual. 

I wonder what the travel expenses and hotels element - did taxpayers pay for Quango and Civil Servants?

• Like 3

Why are you picking on this issue when members of Tynwald are flying all around the world on CPA and Speakers  Jollies   that never reach the public gaze   4 of them   flying to South Africa  then on to ST Helena  plus one day events in Scandinavia , Europe and elsewhere , endless expense   same people trying to inflict zero emissions policy while burning up endless air miles  ,and we don't see a penny piece  or inward investment in return 

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM have been slow on the journalism front and have picked up a story which has been known about for some considerable time. It was about Finance IOM sponsoring a gala dinner in London for the South African Chamber of Commerce, to the tune of £20,000 of no doubt, IOM taxpayers hard earned money. 

Yes, I can see some benefit of why it is has been done - in the hope more South African new residents and businesses relocate here. However, when the island is facing a somewhat challenging financial squeeze, and increased charges, taxes and stealth taxes, the optics of sponsoring a gala dinner doesn’t reflect well - somewhat would argue, how out of touch. Perhaps, the IOM Chamber of Commerce should have sponsored the dinner, so as not have created negative headlines and saved taxpayers money. 

From the NPM - 

More than £20,000 of taxpayers’ money was spent on sponsoring a gala dinner in London earlier this month.

Finance Isle of Man was the platinum sponsor of the 2024 South African Chamber of Commerce Annual Gala Dinner on 19 June.

The event, which cost £185 per person and took place at Mansion House, was fully booked. 

The agency, which is part of the Department for Enterprise, spent £15,000 on sponsorship.

Another £2,326.76 was spent on travel expenses which included £1,804.92 on hotels and £521.84 on flights.

Promotional items came in at £2631.50.

This included £900 worth of miniature gin, £330 of honey, £400 worth of popcorn and promotional booklets which cost £659.50. 

Gift bags and ribbon cost the department £342 and shipping the items to the UK cost £50.

The information has been released following a Freedom of Information request from an undisclosed individual. 

I wonder what the travel expenses and hotels element - did taxpayers pay for Quango and Civil Servants?

Do we produce popcorn now?

39 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Just call it Manx Radio. Surely your school friends are suitably impressed with your childlike acronym 

Yep. As soon as I see that I don't take the post seriously.

It makes me look at an alternative view to that trying to be portrayed. @Fred the shred beat me to it,

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Haha have you met some of our locally bred community? 

I'd say they have the same ratio of obnoxious fuckers as the Manx population... only we don't noticed our local ones as they don't have an accent.

Not sure I agree with you entirely, HP - I reckon I can detect a Foxdale accent anywhere.

• Haha 1