Quitting tobacco and nicotine products? Not yet

12 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

The level of disgustingness there depends on what order you do those things in.

Nether of those things have as big an impact on other people as smoking in public.

I don’t like the smell of smoke but if people want to smoke outside in parks , beaches etc I don’t have an issue as long as they don’t throw butts everywhere. Bans don’t work 

13 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

The film demolition man was actually a warning it turns out

It's a great film that was remarkably prescient about the future.  Supposedly set in the 2030s, but it predicted the spread of a disease that stopped physical contact, bans on smoking and junk food, self driving cars, virtual sex and video conferencing.  Also a population of overweight androgynous pussies, who are scared of everything and abhor our barbaric recent past. 

I sometimes feel like John Spartan.

• Like 2

Should vaping be allowed in pubs? I don't think it should and didn't think it was. However, a serving MHK was spotted recently doing just that much to the chagrin of some fellow customers who were too polite to directly object. It seemed a peculiar example to be setting. 

10 minutes ago, Exotic Bird said:

Should vaping be allowed in pubs? I don't think it should and didn't think it was. However, a serving MHK was spotted recently doing just that much to the chagrin of some fellow customers who were too polite to directly object. It seemed a peculiar example to be setting. 

It’s up to the pub.  Some allow it and some don’t.

It should be banned though.  People shouldn’t need legislation to stop them being antisocial but it appears some do.  

10 minutes ago, Exotic Bird said:

a serving MHK was spotted recently doing just that much to the chagrin of some fellow customers who were too polite to directly object.

You do not have to be discrete - this is the ManxForums and the event took place in public. Names can be named.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The problem with puritans is that it is never enough. They always want more.

"I don't like this thing people do so I want it banned"

Fuck off.

It's actually worse than that.  Because these people don't want to ban stuff for themselves and those like them - just for other people.  In this case young people "born on or after 1 January 2008" (so hardly anyone who can currently vote).  If it's such a good thing ban it for everyone now.  It's virtue-signalling but only other people will be forced to be virtuous.

It will almost certainly be counterproductive as well.  One of the interesting things about the last few decades is the big drop in younger people who smoke.  If you look at this graph from the latest UK survey:

image.png.f4ff0a5ba04ec3bd9f8f349138bfcc30.png

you can see that this 18-24 age group hasn't just dropped in the percentage who smoke (as all other groups have too) but the fall has been by far the fastest - from 25.7% to 11.6%. (You need to interact with the graph in the link to get the percentages)  Figures from the Isle of Man (2019) show an equivalent figure (12.6%) though as part of a lower percentage overall, but against a lower overall percentage of smokers in the whole population (UK 12.9% v IOM 8.4%) but as often with this group in such surveys, it's based on a small original number of responses.

So young people are much less to smoke than ever before, presumably they see it as a dirty, anti-social and expensive habit.  But they are quite happy the engage in other activity that is already illegal as we know from numerous Court cases.  Making smoking illegal is unlikely to deter those who already indulge and will give it the glamour of illegality with those who don't.

Now I'm not saying that Michelle Haywood is in the pay of Big Tobacco desperately trying to raise sales in a collapsing market with  a cunning new marketing technique.  But she might as well be.

Wasn't she responsible for the old hyperbaric chamber being closed down? 

Another arrogant shouty person who should have no place in politics, we seem to have quite a few of them in DHSC.

• Like 1

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances, and is very difficult for people to stop.

Crimaninalising 20% of the population through their addiction is stupid, and the type of joined up idiocy I associate with the useless politicians and "civil" "servants" epidemic on the Island. Build more prisons? Fine them to bankruptcy? These idiots keep demonstrating their stupidity every day.

"Most smokers use tobacco regularly because they are addicted to nicotine. Addiction is characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and use, even in the face of negative health consequences. The majority of smokers would like to stop smoking, and each year about half try to quit permanently. Yet, only about 6 percent of smokers are able to quit in a given year.25 Most smokers will need to make multiple attempts before they are able to quit permanently."

Not difficult to research this:

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/tobacco-nicotine-e-cigarettes/nicotine-addictive

https://www.livescience.com/why-tobacco-nicotine-is-addictive

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5797716/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK236759/

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's actually worse than that.  .

Of course it is. It never stops.

Minimum unit prices in Scotland was brought in, made very little impact on death so the need to put it up; the sugar tax came in and had minimal impact on obesity so now they're pushing to go further, it's always the same. 

But when there is some kind of morality involved it's hard to deal with these fuckers. Oppose this latest nonsense = you want children to die of lung cancer.

Worth pointing out - and probably pretty unpopular seeing as there remains support for such bullshit, that the proposer here was one of the most rabid maskers.

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Big Tobacco desperately trying to raise sales in a collapsing market with  a cunning new marketing technique.  

I thought the same, but I met up with a friend recently who works as a co-op tobacco farm manager in Tanzania.  I did query how the market is going and it is certainly not collapsing.  The nicotine in vapes is extracted from the tobacco plant and that's a growing market.  As are pouches/snuss/snuff etc.  Plus there seems to be a growing market for traditional cigarette smoking China now.   So yes, smoking cigarettes seems to be declining in the West, but actual alternative consumption of tobacco seems to be increasing.