Quitting tobacco and nicotine products? Not yet

3 hours ago, Banker said:

I don’t like the smell of smoke but if people want to smoke outside in parks , beaches etc I don’t have an issue as long as they don’t throw butts everywhere. 

A lot of cigarette butts discarded outside are as a result of the smoking ban.

Previously the majority of non domestic smoking was probably done in pubs, clubs, cafes and similar establishments where there were proper facilities for extinguishing, and removal, of these butts. ( It’s hardly like you can put a still burning cigarette in your pocket for later disposal).

Maybe time for a rethink

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

All cigarette butts discarded outside are as a result of ignorant people

Most bars etc have ashtrays outside but the bastards just ignore them and flick their fag butts into the road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Exotic Bird said:

If it's really important to you I'll pm you the MHK's name. 

Eta, actually I don't see much value in doing that. So I won't. 

I don't need, or want, to know.  

46 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

A lot of cigarette butts discarded outside are as a result of the smoking ban.

Previously the majority of non domestic smoking was probably done in pubs, clubs, cafes and similar establishments where there were proper facilities for extinguishing, and removal, of these butts. ( It’s hardly like you can put a still burning cigarette in your pocket for later disposal).

Maybe time for a rethink

All the responsible cigarette smokers I know carry a pocket ashtray.  Plus it’s not like there is a shortage of bins with cigarette disposal, especially in town or near a pub.  All pubs have ways of disposing don’t they?

Leaving a butt anywhere is just lazy.

17 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I can't see it happening. It will criminalise 10% of the population within 15 years, not just tobacco smokers, but those doing cannabis etc. And it will create a massive black market.

...then add all the confusion at e.g. TT when people from different countries arrive.

Kick it into touch.

I'm not so sure regarding the UK.

I used to smoke between 20 and 40 cigarettes a day but gave up in 2019.  Since then I reckon I've seen no more than a dozen people smoking in public places.  In fact it's so unusual to see someone smoking that it's become something that's literally remarkable.

I also can't remember the last time I saw a cigarette butt lying on the pavement or in the gutter.

If a UK government wanted to introduce a ban I think there'd be very little opposition.

Can't speak for those damn' decadent continentals though...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

Wasn't she responsible for the old hyperbaric chamber being closed down? 

Another arrogant shouty person who should have no place in politics, we seem to have quite a few of them in DHSC.

I very much doubt it.  She would have been one of its biggest advocates.  You know with her running a diving company that has clients that occasionally get the bends and need a hyperbaric chamber, so they don't die. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I very much doubt it.  She would have been one of its biggest advocates.  You know with her running a diving company that has clients that occasionally get the bends and need a hyperbaric chamber, so they don't die. 

Indeed.  Gladys linked to a piece in a diving magazine where she was saying that it was useful having it on the Island after it had had to close down in 2018.  As it happens the charity that now runs the hyperbaric chamber has just announced that it has "recently completed its capital project to remodel its facility and install a brand new state of the art hyperbaric chamber".

• Like 1