Tynwald Day - Guess who's coming?

43 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Grandstand not filled like it used to be. Empty seat count could confirm Government popularity.

If it’s empty it’s because people don’t want to sit for hours dressed up anymore, I’ve declined seats many times for this reason as my wife flatly says no.

The government’s popularity is usually gauged by the size of the crowd at Tynwald so we will see.   I have asked people I have been in contact with just making conversation and they have either laughed or said no.     It used to be a good day out where you would meet people from all over the Island and have a catch up.  The times they are a changing 🥲 and not for the better.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

The government’s popularity is usually gauged by the size of the crowd at Tynwald so we will see.   I have asked people I have been in contact with just making conversation and they have either laughed or said no.     It used to be a good day out where you would meet people from all over the Island and have a catch up.  The times they are a changing 🥲 and not for the better.

From chatting to one of my neighbors yesterday after I noticed him loading shields and swords into his van, there will be many attending just in the Viking village.  I was hoping he was going full apocalypse prepper. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I hope he'll do Raspberry Beret, I likes that one I do.

Apparently he never lets an erection go to waste either. 

Anybody who thinks the number of people attending tynwald day is related to how popular the government is needs to give their head a wobble and find another metric.

We might go, might not.  Depends on the weather and what’s on elsewhere on the island and any other invitations that come in for the day.  It certainly isn’t related to how I feel some politicians are doing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Claiming overtime and a day off in lieu. Excellent!

Well that’s just an outright lie, they do offer seats to senior management & various heads of tribunals, boards etc but no payment ids made or days off

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:
5 hours ago, Wake Up Call said:

Grandstand not filled like it used to be. Empty seat count could confirm Government popularity.

If it’s empty it’s because people don’t want to sit for hours dressed up anymore, I’ve declined seats many times for this reason as my wife flatly says no.

Uh?  I don't think there's ever been a dress code for sitting in the Tynwald Grandstand, certainly not for a long time.  And it's not some special guest list as far as I know (though there may be a few reserved seats).  All that is required is to pay a fiver a head (discount for families) and collect the tickets.  The cost mainly seems to be to cover the Tynwald Day programme.  Mostly it seems to be elderly people in leisurewear, who want a sit-down (some tour groups actually include a ticket), though a sunhat may be sensible some years.  From the Tynwald website:

SBP21_050722_5272.jpg

(You'll see how they had to cram everyone up at one end to make the stand look full).

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Uh?  I don't think there's ever been a dress code for sitting in the Tynwald Grandstand, certainly not for a long time.  And it's not some special guest list as far as I know (though there may be a few reserved seats).  All that is required is to pay a fiver a head (discount for families) and collect the tickets.  The cost mainly seems to be to cover the Tynwald Day programme.  Mostly it seems to be elderly people in leisurewear, who want a sit-down (some tour groups actually include a ticket), though a sunhat may be sensible some years.  From the Tynwald website:

SBP21_050722_5272.jpg

(You'll see how they had to cram everyone up at one end to make the stand look full).

There’s reserved seats which are allocated out of Tynwald secretary office 

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

Anybody who thinks the number of people attending tynwald day is related to how popular the government is needs to give their head a wobble and find another metric.

We might go, might not.  Depends on the weather and what’s on elsewhere on the island and any other invitations that come in for the day.  It certainly isn’t related to how I feel some politicians are doing.

Crazy Dave has spoken - let there be light

• Haha 1