DOI Vs Manx rallying

Roger Ram

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Are you expecting it to be finished before then? 😄

I can guarantee the time was chosen to suit one of governments favourite contractors rather than anything else.

It’s a niche event if it was any other high profile event they’d be fawning over the organizers. Surprised that such a fuss has been made about it here. I’ve only seen one mention of this on X and it looks like the link was removed before the text was then reposted on here after Manx Autosport took the link down. The DOI are clearly anti rallying they probably believe that it eats up their roads. 

• Confused 1

I suspect this has something to do with the so-called “safety experts” in the form of ex-police who DoI have deferred to for years. They have an in-built prejudice against event organisers and feel that the paper chain they insist upon is done exactly how they want it, despite having no experience of running an event themselves. It goes beyond ensuring safety and indulges in a point-scoring power game which, eventually, can result in no event taking place. I think the Rally IOM thing is a bit different as the Manx Autosport organisation is, usually, on a different level. It would be helpful if a Department outside of DoI championed the cause of events other than the TT a bit more vigorously. Even then, DoI hold all the decision-making cards. 

• Like 5

The only question the DOi really need to ask is whether the team they are giving the RCO to is a competent operator?

Insurance, qualified team, clear and defensible safety plans and operating procedures..correct levels of medical, rescue and recovery in place.

The position should always be 'how do we facilitate this?' Rather than preventing it happening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Fred the shred said:

I cannot stand rallying in any shape or form just don’t see the point.

I don't see the point in football, but there are those who do.  So what? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Except there are about a zillion more people see the point in football than do rallying. 🤣

Are you marginalising an already marginalised minority? :weee:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Except there are about a zillion more people see the point in football than do rallying. 🤣

Probably, but a WRC event will regularly attract more than 100,000 spectators and millions online .

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't think we even get 10 spectators. 

There were thousands of people out in May.  Hotels were all full and the stages were very busy with people enjoying themselves.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I don’t think we have ever had 100,000 spectators.

The point being we don't need 100,000 spectators. A few thousand, even a few hundred make a huge difference to the hospitality industry.

Comparing it to football is also nonsense. We don't really do football, well not in terms of attracting tourists, with the possible exception of FC IOM which has been good. I'm not knocking the many well run clubs there are but they're not really tourist attractions. If you want football go to Liverpool or Manchester, Madrid or Barcelona.

What we do do very well is Motorsport. I'm not into rallying either, but Manx rally stages are well regarded throughout the rallying world. Same with other forms of motorsport, the Manx two day trial coming up, Southern hundred and MGP.

We should be celebrating these things, not discouraging them.

• Like 5