DOI Vs Manx rallying

Roger Ram

48 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The fact they have had no issues in the past when they followed the same process does suggest the DOI are at fault.

Obviously the cycling event would have no such issues as it's an 'internal' event organized by the Mr TT himself.  Would his department not have been involved in this saga?  Possibly a conflict of interests?

That's because two wrongs make a right?

Speculation?

Suggests or proves?

Why don't you do an FOI and ask to see the two submissions and see if there is a difference of quality or assessment? If the rally organisers believe it, why don't they. If they don't, does that 'suggest' to you that they know they are in the wrong?

As usual on here, you wont, no one else will and the truth will never be known. It will always be assumed the DOI have got it wrong, and, if they have, nothing will change.

I'm sticking with my own speculation

38 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Obviously the cycling event would have no such issues as it's an 'internal' event organized by the Mr TT himself.  Would his department not have been involved in this saga?  Possibly a conflict of interests?

It's difficult to tell if DfE was really in favour of the Rally or not from Johnston's reply.   Obviously when DoI's inactivity and uncooperativeness led to it having to be cancelled, they're not going to criticise their fellow civil servants whatever - that's the first rule of IOMG.  And there certainly seems to be a more general feeling that 'official' stuff is always valid, while stuff that other people organise is treated as an inconvenience at best.

That said, the fact they were willing to pass on the estimates from the May Rally suggests there may have been some backing in DfE for it - though possibly not from motorsports.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Obviously when DoI's inactivity and uncooperativeness led to it having to be cancelled, they're not going to criticise their fellow civil servants whatever - that's the first rule of IOMG

Its not like you to be so subjective on a matter. Genuinely. Its not. You are Mr Objective and yet on this you have slipped into speculation and subjectivity. 😁

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Its not like you to be so subjective on a matter. Genuinely. Its not. You are Mr Objective and yet on this you have slipped into speculation and subjectivity. 😁

I'd suggest that is born of considerable experience of DOI actions. And the silence from DOI on the matter has been deafening since their original pronouncement.

But then again they're not usually given to lowering themselves to discussion with the plebs.

<£750k out the window.....

Says who ?    who made up this figure ?  must be the same guy who designed the Round House and calculated the figures in that debacle.    Yes the hospitality industry will suffer and the Packet which is unfortunate but I still say this is down to slackness on both sides.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Says who ?    who made up this figure ?  must be the same guy who designed the Round House and calculated the figures in that debacle.    Yes the hospitality industry will suffer and the Packet which is unfortunate but I still say this is down to slackness on both sides.   

As previously stated:

The information on the £750K  estimate came originally from the organisers of the Rally rather than the DfE and was based on an estimate of just over 1,000 visiting, competitors, support, marshals, fans and so on, staying an average of five nights.  An average of £750 per head doesn't seem unreasonable, but whether that number would actually have come is another matter.

This in turn was claimed to be calculated from the number who came over for the May Rally, the September one was expected to produce the same turnout.  no attempt seems to have been made by the DfE to verify these figures, though it should have been possible to get some idea by talking to the Steam Packet, accommodation sector and so on.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As previously stated:

The information on the £750K  estimate came originally from the organisers of the Rally rather than the DfE and was based on an estimate of just over 1,000 visiting, competitors, support, marshals, fans and so on, staying an average of five nights.  An average of £750 per head doesn't seem unreasonable, but whether that number would actually have come is another matter.

This in turn was claimed to be calculated from the number who came over for the May Rally, the September one was expected to produce the same turnout.  no attempt seems to have been made by the DfE to verify these figures, though it should have been possible to get some idea by talking to the Steam Packet, accommodation sector and so on.

A big chunk of the £750 will be steam packet. Money that does not end up in the economy so you can probable half it straight away. 

Edited by Happier diner

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

A big chunk of the £750 will be steam packet. Money that does not end up in the economy so you can probable half it straight away. 

Isn't the Steam Packet part of our economy? 

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I thought I read on here somewhere that the money is not banked here. Maybe I imagined it. Someone will be along to clarify 

Why wouldn't they have their bank account here?  Possibly when owned by a foreign bank, but now? 

Aren't the majority of employees based here, spend their wages here, etc? Dividends are payable to the IOMG, other fees and charges are paid to IOMG bodies and suppliers, they have premises here.  What business has purely IOM suppliers? 

It brings goods and people into (and out) of the economy.  How is the Steam Packet not part of the local economy? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Why wouldn't they have their bank account here?  Possibly when owned by a foreign bank, but now? 

Aren't the majority of employees based here, spend their wages here, etc? Dividends are payable to the IOMG, other fees and charges are paid to IOMG bodies and suppliers, they have premises here.  What business has purely IOM suppliers? 

It brings goods and people into (and out) of the economy.  How is the Steam Packet not part of the local economy? 

I'm pretty sure the crews are paid via the channel islands for some kind of dodge.

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

I'm pretty sure the crews are paid via the channel islands for some kind of dodge.

Yes, it's a NI thing, IIRC.  Nevertheless, they will spend their wages/salary here.  You do wonder if now it is owned by IOMG, they should move the crew to an IOM payroll. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I doubt that the majority of crew are based here or bank here. Perhaps the senior crew will be. Even if you live here you can have your salary paid into any international bank account.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I doubt that the majority of crew are based here or bank here. Perhaps the senior crew will be. Even if you live here you can have your salary paid into any international bank account.

But those who are based here will still spend here.  Why would you have your salary paid elsewhere if you live here?