DOI Vs Manx rallying

Roger Ram

45 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The point being we don't need 100,000 spectators. A few thousand, even a few hundred make a huge difference to the hospitality industry.

Comparing it to football is also nonsense. We don't really do football, well not in terms of attracting tourists, with the possible exception of FC IOM which has been good. I'm not knocking the many well run clubs there are but they're not really tourist attractions. If you want football go to Liverpool or Manchester, Madrid or Barcelona.

What we do do very well is Motorsport. I'm not into rallying either, but Manx rally stages are well regarded throughout the rallying world. Same with other forms of motorsport, the Manx two day trial coming up, Southern hundred and MGP.

We should be celebrating these things, not discouraging them.

Do you think the DOI is discouraging them? We don't know for sure. There is  process for getting roads closed and submission of key documents is required. It's not that onerous and many other events seem to manage ok. The last 2 big news items where an event failed.....rallies..

You can't jump to conclusions. Maybe they didn't do a proper application. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Do you think the DOI is discouraging them? We don't know for sure. There is  process for getting roads closed and submission of key documents is required. It's not that onerous and many other events seem to manage ok. The last 2 big news items where an event failed.....rallies..

You can't jump to conclusions. Maybe they didn't do a proper application. 

Although they've managed it for many years in the past. Perhaps the rally organisers have suddenly gone rouge as far as paperwork is concerned, or perhaps the ever increasing layers of management within government have made it far too onerous for an event run by volunteers. I know which my money is on.

This is the thing you see. If you create an entire profession of making rules, the rules are never going to stop coming, regardless whether they are necessary or not. People employed on huge money to create them will do just that, rather than talk themselves out of their plum job.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The Manx rallies have always been a big deal. The best of the best came and would come again. They are big spenders too. Not a poor man's sport

The ones I know spend all their cash on their cars. Nothing left for anything else, including their families 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Happier diner said:

The ones I know spend all their cash on their cars. Nothing left for anything else, including their families 🤣

What are you on about?

The people who come here to rally are minted and spend significant amounts locally, as do the fans.

Edited by Roger Ram
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Although they've managed it for many years in the past. Perhaps the rally organisers have suddenly gone rouge as far as paperwork is concerned, or perhaps the ever increasing layers of management within government have made it far too onerous for an event run by volunteers. I know which my money is on.

This is the thing you see. If you create an entire profession of making rules, the rules are never going to stop coming, regardless whether they are necessary or not. People employed on huge money to create them will do just that, rather than talk themselves out of their plum job.

But like I said, everyone else seems to manage ok. The parish walk and the youth cycling seems to go ahead without any issues. Yes, it's a pain but then road closures and dangerous events deserve a level of professionalism.

Maybe the DOI are picking in them unfairly. I don't know the answer tbh

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

How many rally teams and fans that come here do you know?

Not many I admit. I do know a couple here and I once had a pal who moved to Huddersfield and he was a British champs (Mintex kind of level). Not a representative sample I know but not one of them would buy you a pint.

However, I can honestly say that in all my years of living here I have never ever bumped into any person in a pub, bar, restaurant, cafe or anything who has identified themselves as a rally fan or driver or team member. 

I like rallies and used to go watch them. Have lost touch in the last 20 years. I don't have anything against them or their sport and I hope the DOI have not intentionally hindered their event going ahead. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Not many I admit. I do know a couple here and I once had a pal who moved to Huddersfield and he was a British champs (Mintex kind of level). Not a representative sample I know but not one of them would buy you a pint.

However, I can honestly say that in all my years of living here I have never ever bumped into any person in a pub, bar, restaurant, cafe or anything who has identified themselves as a rally fan or driver or team member. 

I like rallies and used to go watch them. Have lost touch in the last 20 years. I don't have anything against them or their sport and I hope the DOI have not intentionally hindered their event going ahead. 

So, you don’t know the ones who travel by helicopter or bring their six figure cars here and spend a fortune when visiting our island?

I think you said up thread we don’t get 10 spectators?  

IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

But like I said, everyone else seems to manage ok. The parish walk and the youth cycling seems to go ahead without any issues. Yes, it's a pain but then road closures and dangerous events deserve a level of professionalism.

Why? Why do they deserve a level of professionalism? They're run by volunteers, not professionals. Along as they're safe, which the article seems to suggest they are, and history would seem to suggest the same.

More rules for the sake of it.

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The only question the DOi really need to ask is whether the team they are giving the RCO to is a competent operator?

Insurance, qualified team, clear and defensible safety plans and operating procedures..correct levels of medical, rescue and recovery in place.

The position should always be 'how do we facilitate this?' Rather than preventing it happening.

But you know the personalities involved here. It’s not a question of trying to facilitate but to obstruct in the name of “safety”. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Why? Why do they deserve a level of professionalism? They're run by volunteers, not professionals. Along as they're safe, which the article seems to suggest they are, and history would seem to suggest the same.

More rules for the sake of it.

Rallying  has to be organised to a prescribed standard set by a governmentbody, as does TT. Organisers have to be qualified.

If the prescribed standards are met to the satisfaction of the licensing body, then the RCO should be granted the only thing the DOI need to consider is public disruption