Emma Raducanu pulling out of Wimbledon mixed doubles

Posted (edited)

Andy Murray's Wimbledon career is over after Emma Raducanu pulled out of their planned appearance in the mixed doubles.

Former world number one Murray, 37, was due to play alongside his fellow Briton on Saturday evening at the All England Club.

That’s a shame 

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Posted (edited)

Tell you what Declan I’ll delete my original post.

Maybe it wasn’t in the best of taste but not outrageous . Sometimes things come in your head which you think are amusing at the time but after due consideration you decide aren’t as funny as you think

ETA can’t delete it but amended it to be innocuous 

Edited by The Voice of Reason

47 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Tell you what Declan I’ll delete my original post.

Maybe it wasn’t in the best of taste but not outrageous . Sometimes things come in your head which you think are amusing at the time but after due consideration you decide aren’t as funny as you think

ETA can’t delete it but amended it to be innocuous 

Coward, stand by your post instead of grovelling 

Sorry I missed this now - presumably VoR posting something inappropriate and then being told off by Declan.

Andy Murray should have retired a few years ago probably.  Better to go when most people think you should carry on, rather than drag it out and fizzle out with several disappointing performances (disappointing for him measured against his previous standards - he's been one of the finest players of his generation, and would have cleaned up had it not been for the outstanding trio of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Sorry I missed this now - presumably VoR posting something inappropriate and then being told off by Declan.

Andy Murray should have retired a few years ago probably.  Better to go when most people think you should carry on, rather than drag it out and fizzle out with several disappointing performances (disappointing for him measured against his previous standards - he's been one of the finest players of his generation, and would have cleaned up had it not been for the outstanding trio of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic)

i could have been a  wimbledon champion  if it wasn't for quite a few million other people too,  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Not even that. He posted something a bit daft, I took the piss out of him. 

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

I get your point, but twelve months ago I would have said the same about Mark Cavendish and Lewis Hamilton.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

I get your point, but twelve months ago I would have said the same about Mark Cavendish and Lewis Hamilton.

Take your point, but they're a bit different.  Cav needed one more win in the TDF which he's always been capable of with the right team behind him and intact clavicles, and there's not much wrong with Lewis' drving ability if he's in the right car.  Andy Murray hasn't been competitive at the highest level for several years now and I don't think anyone thought he would be again. Winning the odd match here and there as his most impressive achievement in the last few years must have been hard for him to take.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 10:19 AM, wrighty said:

Take your point, but they're a bit different.  Cav needed one more win in the TDF which he's always been capable of with the right team behind him and intact clavicles, and there's not much wrong with Lewis' drving ability if he's in the right car.  Andy Murray hasn't been competitive at the highest level for several years now and I don't think anyone thought he would be again. Winning the odd match here and there as his most impressive achievement in the last few years must have been hard for him to take.

Indeed it must, but you can understand it. Giving up the things of youth isn't easy. Tennis hasn't just been his career and his fortune. It's also been a major love of his life, and he's been through much pain and surgery along the way to try to stay with it. I'm not as young as I used to be, but I love my sport too. It's never earned me a penny, but despite the aching joints and the more frequently pulled muscles, I battle to keep playing. It's a joy to compete, but the feelgood adrenaline rush after playing well can't be matched.

I doubt Andy Murray gives a shit about what anyone on here or anywhere else for that matter thinks and quite rightly too. 
Oh , and Emma Raducanu , based on her injury history , made the right decision for her. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...