Ringo's island take over

Posted (edited)

See the DOI are advertising for some one to provide an app based system for its various car parks. I myself think the advert is just paying lip service as I cannot see the airport parking supplier  be ousted in favour of new supplier, in fact would not be surprised their contract still has a while to run. I know that it is not a stretch of the imagination that they (DOI) would have two suppliers for such a small contract, Or do they think we are so thick we can't see its a done deal ?. And why the Sunday morning roll out on the sly.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, 7 July 2024 11:00

95616-1.jpg

Service could be rolled out to multi-storey car parks

The Department of Infrastructure is looking for a provider to run a cashless parking system in government-owned car parks.

The department wants to hear from experienced contractors who could provide an app or web-based system for car parking charges.

Initially, the DoI would want the system to run in one location, with a view to extending it to other sites, including multi-storey car parks.

Expressions of interest must be made through government's procurement portal by 1 August.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

See the DOI are advertising for some one to provide an app based system for its various car parks. I myself think the advert is just paying lip service as I cannot see the airport parking supplier  be ousted in favour of new supplier, in fact would not be surprised their contract still has a while to run. I know that it is not a stretch of the imagination that they (DOI) would have two suppliers for such a small contract, Or do they think we are so thick we can't see its a done deal ?. And why the Sunday morning roll out on the sly.

Why can't you have two different providers on the Island?

Posted (edited)

One gets the feeling the idea is for the DOI  to hive off as much of their work as possible so that they can claim whatever goes wrong is nothing to do with them. Once they have nothing to really  do themselves I bet their  head counts will still have increased. More and more doing less and less. What a shambles they are.

Edited by emesde
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cissolt said:

We probably need some transparency around the figures first. How much of the 900,000 taken at the airport goes to DOI and how much goes off island?

How dare you ask that. It's commercially sensitive and you peasants have no right to know how much IOMG gets fucked over by snazzy app salespeople. I am looking forward to Standard and Premium parking in Douglas City Centre. And of course continued free parking for all the freeloading IOMG employees who don't give a shit about the people who pay them.

• Like 9

Don't say I didn't warn you:

I've speculated before about whether the DoI Highways people looked at it with an eye to trialling it in their Douglas multistorey car parks and decided to try it out the Airport rather than spending a few thou replacing the barriers.

Of course as emesde points out, this sort of outsourcing is perfect for our civil servants as it releases them from the responsibility of providing any actual services while building up the bureaucracy even more.  You only have to look at the increase in the number of civil servants when the Manx Care/DHSC split happened.

• Like 3

Incidentally, I know Dirty Buggane isn't big on capitalisation at the best of times, but it would be nice if the Topic title could refer to RingGo.  Otherwise people might think we're about to be invaded by lugubrious scousers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It makes sense to have a unified all island payment system. Government and local authority parking, even prom parking. But I remain to be convinced that RinGo is it.

My preference is a tag system attached to the windscreen and monthly billing with DD. Like motorways and many car parks in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

For visitors they could be hired one, with a preloaded amount and a deposit, on the boat, or at car hire desks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I just see it as another reason to not bother going to Douglas shopping. 
The high street will likely suffer. 

Why?  If they use Ringo it’s much better than the stupid machines they have at the minute where if you get held up or bump into someone and decide to go for a coffee you either have to rush back or go and buy another ticket.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It makes sense to have a unified all island payment system. Government and local authority parking, even prom parking. But I remain to be convinced that RinGo is it.

My preference is a tag system attached to the windscreen and monthly billing with DD. Like motorways and many car parks in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

For visitors they could be hired one, with a preloaded amount and a deposit, on the boat, or at car hire desks. 

This is the correct answer and exactly what we should have.

We won’t get it though, and if we did all the usual suspects would moan about being monitored.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

probably find that some ex government employee has cloned the ringo app, stuck a manx flag on it and is now ready to put in a tender .

..and I bet it won't work and leave people out of pocket due a shit app and service. 

(oh wait - that would be direct copy of Ringo as it is at the moment).