Ringo's island take over

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

A friend of mine worked the gate at Liptons for years

Presumably not Chester St. I don’t remember it ever being anything other than pay and display.

Is it cheaper to have a man in a box collecting fees on exit?

Presumably for anything other than 9 to 4, or 5 days a week, you need a minimum of two, especially as there will need to be holiday cover, comfort breaks, etc.

sometimes a human is cheaper

That was DBC thinking at Shaws Brow, for years, until they found that the guy had been short changing them.

One thing I know, from frequent parking in Spain, and, less so, Bulgaria, is that most underground/multi storey parking is staffed, with a smart office and someone to assist if anything goes wrong. They don’t handle cash or payment. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Presumably not Chester St. I don’t remember it ever being anything other than pay and display.

I must be older than you. I remember the man in a booth at the Level 7 exit. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I must be older than you. I remember the man in a booth at the Level 7 exit. 

I suppose I never used it. I had a free space in the garage at Cains on Athol Street from 1/1/79

Posted (edited)

When I had a small Nokia phone, I would usually but not always take it with me.

Now that I have one of these smart phone things, I rarely carry it with me. It causes an unsightly bulge in my trouser pocket. And I don't carry a handbag.

Edited by Two-lane

Said it before but will say it again. Ringo is poor tech. 

Why? Because it is impossible to use by a section of potential users: 

1) if you have a non UK Apple ID, you cannot download the app - you are blocked

2) f you then try to register on their website, you have to use 2FA to verify (no email alternative - d’uh) but their system cannot send the message to a non UK mobile. 

This is all confirmed in correspondence with Ringgo support. Who seemed remarkably unbothered by this. FFS. 

And yes, there are visitors to the island who fall into this scenario ….

45 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

It's used all over England. They cope with it. If you can't use the app there's a phone number.

People need to get with the times.

People in England make the same arguments about RingGo: it’s too hard to use, it’s too complicated, it excludes people do can’t use a smart phone, RingGo makes too much profit.

The simple truth is that RingGo’s commission is less than the cost of maintaining parking machines and dealing with the costs of collecting the money from the machines.

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

People in England make the same arguments about RingGo: it’s too hard to use, it’s too complicated, it excludes people do can’t use a smart phone, RingGo makes too much profit.

The simple truth is that RingGo’s commission is less than the cost of maintaining parking machines and dealing with the costs of collecting the money from the machines.

It may (or may not) be cheaper to operate. But shouldn’t it also be usable???

• Thanks 2

Just now, Cinderella said:

It may (or may not) be cheaper to operate. But shouldn’t it also be usable???

I don’t have a problem using it, and I’ve used both the Android and Apple apps. The first set up to register the cars is a bit painful, but otherwise it’s done in about three clicks. I’ve seen plenty of worse apps.

For the small number of people who really can’t use it for whatever reason, there’s always the telephone payment option.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don’t have a problem using it, and I’ve used both the Android and Apple apps. The first set up to register the cars is a bit painful, but otherwise it’s done in about three clicks. I’ve seen plenty of worse apps.

For the small number of people who really can’t use it for whatever reason, there’s always the telephone payment option.

Read my post. Not everyone on the island has a UK mobile number. If you do not have one, you cannot use Ringgo because you cannot get app or register on website. I also don’t have 4G on island. 

Edited by Cinderella
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

6 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Read my post. Not everyone on the island has a UK mobile number. If you do not have one, you cannot use Ringgo because you cannot get app or register on website. I also don’t have 4G on island. 

Read the post you are saying hasn’t read your post.  Especially the bit I have quoted again for you.

It’s a tiny number of people who can’t use the app, and there are alternative ways for them to pay.

Its not an issue unless people want to turn it into one just so they can have a moan.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Quite why anyone who lives here wouldn’t have a UK or IOM mobile number is beyond me. IOM  mobile numbers will work for 2FA as they are also +44; mine does.

Especially now most mobile phones will allow you to have more than one SIM at one time and you can get a PAYG SIM for free from both MT and Sure.

Visitors who really really can’t use the app can use the phone service, like I said.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1