Ringo's island take over

51 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Read my post. Not everyone on the island has a UK mobile number. If you do not have one, you cannot use Ringgo because you cannot get app or register on website. I also don’t have 4G on island. 

if you are using android you can probably download the apk file from the internet , copy it to the phone and just install the app on the phone anyway.

Just now, WTF said:

if you are using android you can probably download the apk file from the internet , copy it to the phone and just install the app on the phone anyway.

You don’t even need the app, you can also pay through their website. So even if you can’t download the app there’s the option to use the browser on your phone.

I’m no massive fan of RingGo, but I find it much easier to use than standing in a queue at a parking machine. Especially as I always seem to get stuck behind the berk paying for £7 of parking in 10p pieces.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

I remember seeing an foi response for a UK council and the fee was quoted as 2% with a 50k annual support and maintenance fee.  

Tim's evasiveness regarding the costs suggest we might not be getting such a good deal.

Is it cheaper to have a man in a box collecting fees on exit? A friend of mine worked the gate at Liptons for years, sometimes a human is cheaper than the automated alternative.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/decision-not-to-reveal-parking-charge-details-frustrating/

As I pointed out when Crookall refused to divulge the terms, RingGo's rates to operators are freely available (3% plus 10p per extension/text).  I suppose it's possible that IOMG got a better deal, but in reality they probably ended up charging them more for the Airport (which doesn't really fit the RingGo model) and operating in a new jurisdiction.

One of the reasons that RingGo's rates look quite low is that the operator continues to carry all the extras, including all banking charges and the cost of enforcement.  Barrier systems tend to be cheaper to control, but of course RingGo is mainly designed for on-street parking - which s why the DoI thinks it's just the thing for car parks.

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

Read my post. Not everyone on the island has a UK mobile number. If you do not have one, you cannot use Ringgo because you cannot get app or register on website. I also don’t have 4G on island. 

You don't need a UK phone number. My IOM one worked fine.

Also, how many people over here don't have a UK Apple ID but live here ?! And if not, why not ?

I don't use Apple myself, but had no issues registering on Android.

5 hours ago, Cinderella said:

It worked OK for me. Was a year ago though. 

On 7/7/2024 at 4:28 PM, Roger Ram said:

How doesn’t Ringo work?  I have used it hundreds of times and never an issue?

Would be good if WE werent sending money off Island for the privilege though - dont you think?

4 minutes ago, daisy said:

Would be good if WE werent sending money off Island for the privilege though - dont you think?

Its not like the alternative is to buy a locally made barrier and/or ticket machine, so makes no odds really.

We aren’t and never will be self sufficient and will always be sending money off island for most services either directly or indirectly 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I'm still trying to get my head around the '70's Manx lottery, can't we have some kind of scratchcard handed into a strange Man dressed in a Sou'wester sat in a wooden hut all day? (I think he was once the "Comedian" in Bushy's).

Edited by victorian dad

15 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

I struggle to get 4G connection in chester street car park, and many other concrete car parks as well. I dont see how a ring go app would work in such a place without wifi connection available 

Do it from outside the carpark, or they can install public wifi.

Thousands of other carparks manage so why would we be different?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

Do it from outside the carpark, or they can install public wifi.

Thousands of other carparks manage so why would we be different?

Well that adds to the cost for the DOI, doesnt it. Nobody is going to walk outside a car park just to get 4g signal to pay

I can see the carparks being used less and less, and they are still going to need to employ physical wardens to check your virtual ticket. Or will it all be done on trust, something the government is in short supply from the public.

• Thanks 1