Teaching a UK Driver

Anyone know if you can teach someone to drive in the UK... i.e. if the learner holds a UK provisional licence and I hold a Manx Full Licence?

I'm aware there are certain restrictions on UK provisional licences on the island.

16 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Anyone know if you can teach someone to drive in the UK... i.e. if the learner holds a UK provisional licence and I hold a Manx Full Licence?

I'm aware there are certain restrictions on UK provisional licences on the island.

You can supervise a GB provisional licence holder to drive in GB whilst you hold a full IoM licence.

It’s the provisional licences that are jurisdictionally restricted. Not full licences. Obviously you can only supervise for categories you hold the full licence.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, germann said:

On a similar topic, can I stick L plates on a UK registered car here while I wait for Tromode vehicle checks? I have a full IoM licence and the Mrs has an IoM provisional. 

If you have a full IoM licence and she an IoM  provisional, and as long as your vehicle is IoM street legal, ie has current GB tax and MoT ( if applicable) and you’ve actually booked it in for its Manx test, yes. 

This may or may not be relevant.

I took my bike test in IoM. It consisted of me driving round Quarter Bridge doing all right turns then left turns. At some point the examiner, who was stood outside the pub (chatting to a mate for a while) stuck his hand out for me to emergency stop. The whole thing took less than quarter of an hour. I hadn't received a single lesson. I passed. When I became a born again biker in my 30s, and having passed said test years earlier in Isle of Man I was given a fair bit of respect and kudos by my biker friends.

I soon realised that respect was highly misplaced and soon faded anyway. They had all been through CBT trying and lessons. I was, in a phrase, a shit rider.

I appreciate things have changed here, but I was caught in between the old ways and the new. (Realising my incompetence, I took a course in advance riding - what an eye opener that was).

Incidentally, years ago, the worst driver I ever worked for received their driving licence by simply popping into the post Office and filling out a form.

And who here has never been taught or advised how to drive on a motorway?

• Thanks 1

Best money I ever spent in my life was professional driving lessons. OK, I get that it's good to get hours behind the wheel with a full licensed driver and all that but, I'll just say that again:

Best money I ever spent in my life was professional  driving lessons.

13 hours ago, Casta said:

That first drive on the M6 for us Manxies is a baptism of fire! Oh, that's what wing mirrors are for!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2024 at 6:48 AM, Casta said:

When I did my driving lessons in Bristol, there was a section of dual carriageway that was national limit at the time, learners could do 70 down it, which gave a very motorway-like experience.

I'd say do the IAM test to brush up on motorcycle skills, but they abandoned the IoM. If you make regular trips across, I'm sure some group would be happy for you to join.

Ages ago, there was a local scheme similar to this, called the 'National Manx Motorcycle training scheme'. I was a member of this, but it was unceremoniously canned. No reason given. Costs? I doubt it cost much to run. The most annoying part was that some members had received their completion certificate, I was due to finish a few weeks later, but it literally suddenly stopped, and I had nothing to show for it. They couldn't even be arsed to complete the current class.

1 hour ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

When I did my driving lessons in Bristol, there was a section of dual carriageway that was national limit at the time, learners could do 70 down it, which gave a very motorway-like experience.

I'd say do the IAM test to brush up on motorcycle skills, but they abandoned the IoM. If you make regular trips across, I'm sure some group would be happy for you to join.

Ages ago, there was a local scheme similar to this, called the 'National Manx Motorcycle training scheme'. I was a member of this, but it was unceremoniously canned. No reason given. Costs? I doubt it cost much to run. The most annoying part was that some members had received their completion certificate, I was due to finish a few weeks later, but it literally suddenly stopped, and I had nothing to show for it. They couldn't even be arsed to complete the current class.

Probably ex coppers who got given a better gig in motorsports.