New Head of Waste Management at DOI

Wait till all the generation from renewable sources and net zero dates have to be revised, as they were a pipe dream to even begin with. And any new dates will just be virtual signaling, unless this present government wish to try and  bleed us dry in a rush to bankruptcy IMHO.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It will likely remain that way in reality as targets for recycling come a distant second to targets for revenue raising now. Although there may be an element of virtue-signalling to mask it somewhat.

More recycling would reduce the amount of money spent on sending stuff to the incinerator.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

More recycling would reduce the amount of money spent on sending stuff to the incinerator.

At which point SITA/SUEZ raise their charges to everybody further for the reduction in their workload...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Wait till all the generation from renewable sources and net zero dates have to be revised, as they were a pipe dream to even begin with. And any new dates will just be virtual signaling, unless this present government wish to try and  bleed us dry in a rush to bankruptcy IMHO.

Virtual signalling?

6 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

From somewhere or other....

"With the time, money, and energy spent collecting and processing recycled goods, the price of recycling is much higher than discarding waste into landfills or incinerators."

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"With the time, money, and energy spent collecting and processing recycled goods, the price of recycling is much higher than discarding waste into landfills or incinerators."

Pillocks closing the NCAS on Sundays contributes little towards the recycle/reuse ethos either.

12 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I like your sources.

Only fools try to burn glass bottles and jars.

We are still paying the price for landfills at the Raggat and Point of Ayre.

https://www.gov.im/media/1371232/arcadis_raggat-leachate-revised-and-updated-report-april-2016.pdf

When I was a child, I thought the bin men took all the rubbish to a processing facility where they would sort it all out & make use of anything useful - that was 45 years ago and I am still quite shocked that this doesn’t happen. A conveyor belt with a big magnet above it to sort the metal, then the manual sorting can begin. Everything can be reused in someway or another, even if it is just to be burned. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

LOL

Less stuff sent to the incinerator means the price of sending stuff to the incinerator has to go up to cover their costs, and the incinerator becomes far less efficient to run.

It needs more stuff sending there, not less

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2bees said:

When I was a child, I thought the bin men took all the rubbish to a processing facility where they would sort it all out & make use of anything useful - that was 45 years ago and I am still quite shocked that this doesn’t happen. A conveyor belt with a big magnet above it to sort the metal, then the manual sorting can begin. Everything can be reused in someway or another, even if it is just to be burned. 

What is the circular economy?

The circular economy is a model of production and consumption, which involves sharing, leasing, reusing, repairing, refurbishing and recycling existing materials and products as long as possible. In this way, the life cycle of products is extended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Interesting that we can afford the best part of £100k per year plus pension for some stuffed shirt to be in charge of waste management, but the Northern Civic amenity site is facing closure due to lack of funding. 

Funny old world.

The whole of waste management is fragmented. I would take it from the local authorities and have it done more efficiently by one organisation.