Southern 100

Roger Ram

26 minutes ago, Manx Mole said:

Having seen a video of the crash, I can assure you it was nothing to do with the TM. A rider at the rear of the group was going a lot faster than those ahead and crashed into them.

throttle stuck open ??

24 minutes ago, Manx Mole said:

Having seen a video of the crash, I can assure you it was nothing to do with the TM. A rider at the rear of the group was going a lot faster than those ahead and crashed into them.

But the TM was showing them all around the circuit at a controlled speed. Are you suggesting the rider at the rear of the group wasn't aware of what the TM was doing? (That's a rhetorical question btw, of course he wasn't) How big was the group?

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

But the TM was showing them all around the circuit at a controlled speed. Are you suggesting the rider at the rear of the group wasn't aware of what the TM was doing? (That's a rhetorical question btw, of course he wasn't) How big was the group?

17 newcomers I think.  Why?

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

i guess if you'd had a problem at the start and were playing catch up you could enthusiastically get it wrong

Just now, Roger Ram said:

17 newcomers I think.  Why?

Just now, WTF said:

i guess if you'd had a problem at the start and were playing catch up you could enthusiastically get it wrong

They're not fit for purpose. 

26 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It is alarming if the Island only have the capacity for two trauma cases at a time.

What capacity should we have? How many operating theatres, and associated teams of surgeons, anaesthetists, theatre nurses, anaesthetic practitioners, recovery staff etc should be available at any one time?

The current situation, and I’m sorry if this is a surprise, is one. During working hours more people are available, but out of hours it would be a major feat to get two theatres running simultaneously, involving calling people in who are not on duty. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The current situation, and I’m sorry if this is a surprise, is one. During working hours more people are available, but out of hours it would be a major feat to get two theatres running simultaneously, involving calling people in who are not on duty. 

Has it always been one?

It’s not particularly surprising considering how most days the ED department is full with patients waiting hours for beds to become available on wards. They’ve obviously just assessed the situation and the hospital will have very little movement and ED will probably be nearly full and therefore unable to take many traumas and therefore for everyone’s safety they’ve had to cancel the racing 

7 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Has it always been one?

Back in the day it wasn’t even one. 

I’ve worked in much bigger hospitals than here. Out of hours getting more than one theatre running is hard. Even harder when you have multiple specialties wanting to do stuff with limited theatre capacity. I worked in Whiston, regional plastics unit. One day the team were in theatre for 19 hours trying to stitch a chaps fingers back on. Anything else had to wait, or it was calling people in who weren’t on duty. Stoke, major trauma centre, the same. We shared a theatre with neurosurgeons out of hours - if they had a brain haemorrhage to deal with I could go to bed. No chance I’d get to straighten a wrist fracture. We once had 43 people waiting for surgery as inpatients. It’s like that at Aintree all the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Back in the day it wasn’t even one. 

I’ve worked in much bigger hospitals than here. Out of hours getting more than one theatre running is hard. Even harder when you have multiple specialties wanting to do stuff with limited theatre capacity. I worked in Whiston, regional plastics unit. One day the team were in theatre for 19 hours trying to stitch a chaps fingers back on. Anything else had to wait, or it was calling people in who weren’t on duty. Stoke, major trauma centre, the same. We shared a theatre with neurosurgeons out of hours - if they had a brain haemorrhage to deal with I could go to bed. No chance I’d get to straighten a wrist fracture. We once had 43 people waiting for surgery as inpatients. It’s like that at Aintree all the time. 

Is when a planned motorsport event is running classed as out of hours?

It sounds like we are very vulnerable in a lot of ways if an incident that injures more than one person at a time maxes the hospital out.

I understand the reasons why.  I guess I had just never considered the obvious issues of an industrial accident or RTA involving multiple serious injuries.

4 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Is when a planned motorsport event is running classed as out of hours?

It sounds like we are very vulnerable in a lot of ways if an incident that injures more than one person at a time maxes the hospital out.

I understand the reasons why.  I guess I had just never considered the obvious issues of an industrial accident or RTA involving multiple serious injuries.

For TT we get more people in, not so for S100 and MGP - historically they’re less busy. You can get some absolute shockers, like last year, but I’ve been on call on S100’s main day for almost 20 years and hardly noticed it was on. 

It’s not just here. The whole UK NHS is basically failing because the model is broken and nobody will accept that (for fear of electoral annihilation)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, at present we're not doing very well in facilitating the motorsport that the Island is famous for.

We can't supply medical cover for potential injuries arising from racing incidents and we can't enable the running of a rally.

Doesn't augur well. What happens if there's a multiple medical situation in the Grand Fondo?

The island isn’t just famous for motorsport (s), but it’s one of the main contributor to its economy, and something that the island relies heavily upon ……… so we are forever told. 

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

What capacity should we have? How many operating theatres, and associated teams of surgeons, anaesthetists, theatre nurses, anaesthetic practitioners, recovery staff etc should be available at any one time?

Thanks for the response and openness.   It certainly is a surprise.

Even if we didn't have road racing there must be significant risk that we don't have capacity to deal with a small number of major incidents. 

I would not want to be the person responsible for tri-age in the event of a relatively small incident (outside of road racing) that led to two or three people requiring life saving surgery. 

In relation to the point about political suicide it is tragic that Politicians will not be honest about the true state if our healthcare provision.

This is just one of those things that happens. If the underlying demand for Intensive Care beds is already high due to non-racing illness and post-operative treatment, there is less capacity available for potential casualties from racing. It would be reckless to allow an event to take place that was likely to produce a demand for care that couldn’t be met. Like all things in a relatively small jurisdiction, there has to be a balance between service capacity and cost. 
Last nights issue is not particular to the S100; discussions will take place before every TT and MGP session about medical capacity, before it can take place. Road-racing enthusiasts are blinded by their enthusiasm and tend to believe that running races is more important than exercising due care and good judgement, even risking avoidable deaths, if necessary. It’s really not that important. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, joebean said:

This is just one of those things that happens. If the underlying demand for Intensive Care beds is already high due to non-racing illness and post-operative treatment, there is less capacity available for potential casualties from racing. It would be reckless to allow an event to take place that was likely to produce a demand for care that couldn’t be met. 

so we should have a system in place that if there is a car accident and anyone requires emergency surgery that the entire road network is shut down and nobody can drive anything just in case there is another accident ?

• Like 4