IOMSPC - Jobs for the good old boys

Scrolling through the order paper for July I see that Bill Shimmins ( former MHK and member of treasury ) will be waved through by his former mates in Tynwald (and personal buddy of the Treasury Minister in July )as a new non executive director of the IOMSPC.

This is the second current director of the IOMSPC to be formerly on the government payroll ( the MD was a IOM government ship  surveyor )

They just cannot help themselves!

So much for having a board with actual commercial shipping experience.

Of all the people who applied for this role he was seriously the best candidate that the treasury department( who select the candidates )  considered for this role.

Alex Allison you should be ashamed of yourself dishing out jobs to your mates !!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Hasnt Bill Shimmins been seriously ill with cancer? Also by my knowledge he was a very competent MHK until he fell ill and if he applied for the role then I would say his CV got him the job not his ‘’mates’

i read somewhere that he was dead a few years ago.

The jobs were advertised widely so anyone could apply , bill Shimmins has a good CV eg ex MD Iom Bank, northern bank, treasury etc so ideal candidate and will help control financial side 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mann O Mann said:

Scrolling through the order paper for July I see that Bill Shimmins ( former MHK and member of treasury ) will be waved through by his former mates in Tynwald (and personal buddy of the Treasury Minister in July )as a new non executive director of the IOMSPC.

This is the second current director of the IOMSPC to be formerly on the government payroll ( the MD was a IOM government ship  surveyor )

They just cannot help themselves!

So much for having a board with actual commercial shipping experience.

Of all the people who applied for this role he was seriously the best candidate that the treasury department( who select the candidates )  considered for this role.

Alex Allison you should be ashamed of yourself dishing out jobs to your mates !!!!

He was ex IOM Bank/RBSI head for the island. He may know about banking, but mean he knows about shipping, freight or car ferries. Does he knowledge and experience of shipping or running of a ferry company? Unless the SPCo want him for his prowess of looking at charges - glorified bean counter?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

He was ex IOM Bank/RBSI head for the island. He may know about banking, but mean he knows about shipping, freight or car ferries. Unless the SPCo want him for his prowess of looking at charges? 

NEDs won't always have industry experience but the board positions aren't necessarily about operational matters

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

He was ex IOM Bank/RBSI head for the island. He may know about banking, but mean he knows about shipping, freight or car ferries. Does he knowledge and experience of shipping or running of a ferry company? Unless the SPCo want him for his prowess of looking at charges - glorified bean counter?

Do you understand what an NED is?

It doesn’t sound like it from this post.

Edited by Roger Ram
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Banker said:

The jobs were advertised widely so anyone could apply , bill Shimmins has a good CV eg ex MD Iom Bank, northern bank, treasury etc so ideal candidate and will help control financial side 

mike proffitt was a director of barclays bank , that worked out well for the mea 

• Haha 1

Bill Shimmins appointment, in respect of his backgrounds, confirms SPCo as a revenue-raising operation for IoMG, IMHO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Hasnt Bill Shimmins been seriously ill with cancer? Also by my knowledge he was a very competent MHK until he fell ill and if he applied for the role then I would say his CV got him the job not his ‘’mates’

they don't exist...