IOM Constabulary recruitment

joebean

22 minutes ago, cissolt said:

No, but the guy was thrown to the ground, restrained and then tazed while handcuffed.  Hard to see why the police have an image problem...

They need to do that a bit more often with some of the thugs about at present.

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cissolt said:

No, but the guy was thrown to the ground, restrained and then tazed while handcuffed.  Hard to see why the police have an image problem...

Well the police are recruiting, join then show them how you would deal with it

On 8/15/2024 at 8:25 PM, Derek Flint said:

Culture change. And for the better by all accounts. Sending the wrong asset has more potential to go wrong than sending the right one

Is that really a thing in the police now? "Asset." Sounds military or some CIA spook in hostile territory. How far we have come, and no, it's not for the better. All your stuff seems prescriptive for large UK conurbations, and what it really needs in the IoM is a sense of proportion and sensitivity to the difference between here and there. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, woolley said:

Is that really a thing in the police now? "Asset." Sounds military or some CIA spook in hostile territory. How far we have come, and no, it's not for the better. All your stuff seems prescriptive for large UK conurbations, and what it really needs in the IoM is a sense of proportion and sensitivity to the difference between here and there. 

I've referred to assets as long as i can remember.

And there is a sense of proportion. Its called the Armed Policing Strategic Threat and Risk Assessment. You don't get to see it, but it drives the whole picture. 

And that sensitivity applies to any rural setting in the UK. Help is a very, very long time coming

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Walking up Victoria Street at lunchtime and spotted two policemen exit a vehicle carrying side arms. Have we got to the point where we now have armed police patrolling Douglas?

Response times have  gone from being measurable in hours to 'much better' I believe.

Long overdue. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Walking up Victoria Street at lunchtime and spotted two policemen exit a vehicle carrying side arms. Have we got to the point where we now have armed police patrolling Douglas?

The new chief wants a Military Police force.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Response times have  gone from being measurable in hours to 'much better' I believe.

Long overdue. 

Not sure what you mean there Derek. They were ambling along chatting then turned into Fort Street, no apparent urgency

• Like 1

Just now, Maugholdmafia said:

Armed police in douglas should not be on the streets unless an incident demands it. We are on the Isle of Man not Baghdad

armed patrols around dougladeshabad is a great idea.

11 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Not sure what you mean there Derek. They were ambling along chatting then turned into Fort Street, no apparent urgency

I mean that today, a response will be measured in minutes, not - and I mean literally - hours.

10 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Armed police in douglas should not be on the streets unless an incident demands it. We are on the Isle of Man not Baghdad

Well I'd suggest you write to the Chief Constable and demand that he ignores the operational context, prevailing threat and risk assessment, operational capability and sorts it based on your better suite of information and intelligence.

Seriously though, I'm not going to say any more on this. Maybe write to the media, and get them to ask whether the deployment and availability of armed assets has changed on the Island?

Ultimately, I understand what has taken policing to where it is today because it is what I teach. Doing that has widened my perspective on a number of issues, including public perception. Ultimately though, there is a job to be done, and sometimes that means making unpopular or seemingly incongruous decisions.

I'll leave it with you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I mean that today, a response will be measured in minutes, not - and I mean literally - hours.

We are on the Isle of Man for goodness sakes, what do you think would ever happen here? Unless you are implying the population changes make this more likely...

38 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Well I'd suggest you write to the Chief Constable and demand that he ignores the operational context, prevailing threat and risk assessment, operational capability and sorts it based on your better suite of information and intelligence.

Seriously though, I'm not going to say any more on this. Maybe write to the media, and get them to ask whether the deployment and availability of armed assets has changed on the Island?

Ultimately, I understand what has taken policing to where it is today because it is what I teach. Doing that has widened my perspective on a number of issues, including public perception. Ultimately though, there is a job to be done, and sometimes that means making unpopular or seemingly incongruous decisions.

I'll leave it with you.

The new chief constable must have brought his risk assessments from his previous job over then and just copy and pasted it in. Im sure all the armed police here were very happy to hear they now get to play Robocop out on the streets. 

It surely is more likely a member of the public is killed by the police now that this has happened.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

We are on the Isle of Man for goodness sakes, what do you think would ever happen here? Unless you are implying the population changes make this more likely...

I've mentioned this before but as you might have missed it...

One in 28 households on the Isle of Man has access to a firearm.

In the UK, that is one in 76.

A quick trawl of news over the last 40 years will highlight the number of incidents that have evolved from the lawful holding of firearms.

• Thanks 1