IOM Constabulary recruitment

joebean

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I've mentioned this before but as you might have missed it...

One in 28 households on the Isle of Man has access to a firearm.

In the UK, that is one in 76.

A quick trawl of news over the last 40 years will highlight the number of incidents that have evolved from the lawful holding of firearms.

I'd just give up Derek.  Someone was obviously shot by a meanie with a nerf gun when they were a kid and still hasn't gotten over it. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'd just give up Derek.  Someone was obviously shot by a meanie with a nerf gun when they were a kid and still hasn't gotten over it. 

If there's been a change in policy, ie firearms now being carried without attending or en route to a specific incident, then we should know about it. I think that's not an unreasonable request.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

If there's been a change in policy, ie firearms now being carried without attending or en route to a specific incident, then we should know about it. I think that's not an unreasonable request.

Why should you know about it?  What input could you provide?  Do you have tactical or firearm experience that you feel would be of use?  How will it change your behaviour if the police are routinely carrying?  Do you need to be advised if they get a new Police Car? 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Why should you know about it?  What input could you provide?  Do you have tactical or firearm experience that you feel would be of use?  How will it change your behaviour if the police are routinely carrying?  Do you need to be advised if they get a new Police Car? 

I suppose it depends if you want to end up with twitchy fingered "warrior" police like in the States.

It is a statistical certainty that the more police officers that are armed, the more likely that there will be a officer involved innocent shooting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

A quick trawl of news over the last 40 years will highlight the number of incidents that have evolved from the lawful holding of firearms.

How many unlawful shootings and killings by police officers in the last 40 years? More police carrying guns = more risk of police involved shooting

59 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The answer is quite simple.... it's never been necessary for plod to carry a firearm before now, unless travelling to/from a scene that requires them to be carried and used.

The question is, what has changed in our society that requires that action, if indeed there is new policy for carrying firearms outside of an incident that requires them. It was Passing Time who suggested officers were 'ambling' and carrying arms. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The vast majority would be match type rifles. How many of these are involved in incidents? I'm not talking about cases like someone might've sold a rifle to their mate, and forgot to update their ticket, or kept a few more rounds at home than they really should. Pint says it's somewhere between 'none' and 'bugger all', ever. 

The fact that you have to go back such a long period of time to get a meaningful quantity, speaks volumes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RecklessAbandon said:

I suppose it depends if you want to end up with twitchy fingered "warrior" police like in the States.

It is a statistical certainty that the more police officers that are armed, the more likely that there will be a officer involved innocent shooting.

It is a statistical certainty that there are more knife and gun crimes in the UK than ever before.   Should the Police protect you and themselves with a witty retort or a stern look?  I'm sure you guys would be the first to moan if it took too long for properly armed response to turn up. 

1 hour ago, Maugholdmafia said:

How many unlawful shootings and killings by police officers in the last 40 years? More police carrying guns = more risk of police involved shooting

The drugs game over here is controlled from Liverpool.  Plenty of shootings there recently with plenty of innocent bystanders killed.  It's only a matter of time before some of that spills over to here with the wannabe gangsters of Pully. 

29 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

The vast majority would be match type rifles.

So .22 or air rifles?  You should come up the range, I'd say there are probably 5 x the number of handguns.  

Also drug dealers don't generally tend to use single shot, small calibre target rifles. 

Edited by The Phantom

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It is a statistical certainty that there are more knife and gun crimes in the UK than ever before.   Should the Police protect you and themselves with a witty retort or a stern look?  I'm sure you guys would be the first to moan if it took too long for properly armed response to turn up. 

If you could prove that a car with two armed offices is going to make a difference to the average street mugging, then you would have a case.

It is a statistical certainty that there are more knife and gun crimes in the UK than ever before.

Oddly enough the size of the population is larger than ever before.

Also, the rest of your post makes the IOM (and by extension) the UK sound like down town LA during the gang wars.

It is not, and there is not a requirement for large scale arming of the general police.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The drugs game over here is controlled from Liverpool.  Plenty of shootings there recently with plenty of innocent bystanders killed.  It's only a matter of time before some of that spills over to here with the wannabe gangsters of Pully. 

So .22 or air rifles?  You should come up the range, I'd say there are probably 5 x the number of handguns.  

Also drug dealers don't generally tend to use single shot, small calibre target rifles. 

Are you suggesting that we've exhausted all methods to stop drugs from being imported and now have to resort to firearms? Really?

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Are you suggesting that we've exhausted all methods to stop drugs from being imported and now have to resort to firearms? Really?

Lowest common denominator policing. 

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

you didn't leave it with us for long did you ??

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

No.  I'm suggesting that firearms will likely show up in some sort of drug turf wars, enforcements, debt collections.  It will be scum on scum crime, but has the possibility of overflow and involve innocent bystanders.  I'm certainly not naïve enough to believe that drug dealers would look at the police being armed as some sort of con to doing business here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Police officers are armed at airports. I don't see reports of people getting shot there.

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Police officers are armed at airports. I don't see reports of people getting shot there.

But armed police as a whole have shot people.  That is why police as whole being armed is not the same as a select group at a select location being armed.