IOM Constabulary recruitment

joebean

29 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Questions on the test. 
do you like guns?

were you bullied at school?

If yes to both. Congratulations. 

Questions on the test.

Are expecting to have 9 month off on the sick just after you start?

If yes -Congratulations. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joebean said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/just-three-successful-candidates-from-40-to-join-the-police/

Another interesting snippet which demonstrates how the Constabulary deteriorated under Gary Roberts. Morale dropped, retention issues increased and nothing was done to make the police an attractive career in terms of pay or culture. The CC busied himself pontificating in his annual reports about the challenges the Constabulary faced and handing out meaningless awards to officers doing their jobs but the major issues were left unaddressed. The current CC is going to have some task in turning things around.  

A tad unfair in some respects. We've been here before and it is a cyclical issue related to pay an opportunities, with a dose of nationally negative press. 

Forces across the UK are struggling with recruitment and retention. Locally I recall running a process around 2002/3 where we had plenty of applicants but three passed. Standards of written English was one particular issue - which was being reflected nationally.

At one stage the force really was the employer of choice. A five year pay freeze came along and the wages ended up around 15-20% out of kilter as to where they would have been. We started losing people back to the public and private sector. 

It's never really recovered from there. So no, it wasn't 'Gary's fault' 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I know some people who have applied and failed the fitness test (several times).  I'm not sure how challenging the requirements are, but put it this way, I would have been very confident making a medium paced jog get away from that person. 

the beep test isn't as easy as you might think.

29 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

A tad unfair in some respects. We've been here before and it is a cyclical issue related to pay an opportunities, with a dose of nationally negative press. 

Forces across the UK are struggling with recruitment and retention. Locally I recall running a process around 2002/3 where we had plenty of applicants but three passed. Standards of written English was one particular issue - which was being reflected nationally.

At one stage the force really was the employer of choice. A five year pay freeze came along and the wages ended up around 15-20% out of kilter as to where they would have been. We started losing people back to the public and private sector. 

It's never really recovered from there. So no, it wasn't 'Gary's fault' 

Question …one thing I’ve noticed on recent intakes to the Police of say 12 successful applicants 7 or 8 of them have been female. I have zero problem with that and fair play to the Females stepping up but operationally is that ever a problem. Physically there not as strong and able to apprehend a drunken guy etc but I’d say male suspects are less likely to hit a police woman . Is the physicality an issue currently with recruitment. I do know that the general fitness levels of new recruits is less than it used to be. Remember recruits coming into Summerland many years ago to be assessed with bleep tests and the likes. I’d be surprised if the female numbers are less than 40% of the force. I will reiterate I have zero problem with that from a numerical situation just have concerns as to physicality. Just the size alone of a male can be a deterrent and a calming influence in many situations I’d of said. I would also say it’s possible a female officer might be more effective in tone and attitude… Thoughts please ? 

Edited by Numbnuts

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

the beep test isn't as easy as you might think.

It’s not and they definately used to use it in the mid 90’s but visually many of the current force for sure don’t look very fit.  
might have been even early than 90’s when I noticed it…..sorry  

Edited by Numbnuts

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

It’s not and they definately used to use it in the mid 90’s but visually many of the current force for sure don’t look very fit.   

Yeah unfortunately I've done quite a few beep tests over the years.

Do they have ongoing fitness tests? Or just one at recruitment?

18 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Not sure but years ago they used to take recruits up the hills for a serious hike. Along with the likes of Bleep tests and similar . . I’d say they might be a minimum requirement now but maybe the bar is set low. Having said that there’s been some really fit and active officers in recent years whose fitness levels would be as good as it gets . 

Edited by Numbnuts

17 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yep every year there's a fitness test bleep test included. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Question …one thing I’ve noticed on recent intakes to the Police of say 12 successful applicants 7 or 8 of them have been female. I have zero problem with that and fair play to the Females stepping up but operationally is that ever a problem. Physically there not as strong and able to apprehend a drunken guy etc but I’d say male suspects are less likely to hit a police woman . Is the physicality an issue currently with recruitment. I do know that the general fitness levels of new recruits is less than it used to be. Remember recruits coming into Summerland many years ago to be assessed with bleep tests and the likes. I’d be surprised if the female numbers are less than 40% of the force. I will reiterate I have zero problem with that from a numerical situation just have concerns as to physicality. Just the size alone of a male can be a deterrent and a calming influence in many situations I’d of said. I would also say it’s possible a female officer might be more effective in tone and attitude… Thoughts please ? 

Simply- some of the best of the best.

And bloody fierce fighters!

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Simply- some of the best of the best.

And bloody fierce fighters!

Is that a current accurate assessment or one from your time. There’s so many more female officers now than in your time . Again would say I have no issues and fair play to them.