IOM Constabulary recruitment

joebean

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

A tad unfair in some respects. We've been here before and it is a cyclical issue related to pay an opportunities, with a dose of nationally negative press. 

Forces across the UK are struggling with recruitment and retention. Locally I recall running a process around 2002/3 where we had plenty of applicants but three passed. Standards of written English was one particular issue - which was being reflected nationally.

At one stage the force really was the employer of choice. A five year pay freeze came along and the wages ended up around 15-20% out of kilter as to where they would have been. We started losing people back to the public and private sector. 

It's never really recovered from there. So no, it wasn't 'Gary's fault' 

What do you mean by 'employer of choice'?  They are the only employer of police surely? 

• Like 1

I have always thought the IOM police should be on the same pay scales as met police to reflect the high cost of living here, although in the most it is probably less stressful as iom police than the met. All in all this payrise is a good move and should have been done years ago. What is the sense in having the starting pay at £25k rising to £38k after 7 years? When the lower spine could have just been raised to say the £32k as has been now. You would have had lots more recruits if done before now

• Like 1

I wouldn’t do it for 32k tbh. It’s a really tough job in so many ways . Yes it has perks but lots of what you come across and see is not pleasant and tough to deal with. Also there never really off duty. Upmost respect for police officers and the job they do. Yes some have made bad choices but like all of us basically there human and make mistakes. I have cousins in the Met and in the force in Cheshire and they love it and have looked to transfer but there are not sure how long it would take to reach the rank there at now. Incidently they probably know the Island better than me having visited since babies in Summer holidays and as they have got older. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

Apparently it is to bring the pay in line with firemen and other services.   They deserve it ,every penny , dealing with drunks and some very unpleasant situations . So do nurses and other medical personnel responsibility should be recognised and rewarded.   

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Apparently it is to bring the pay in line with firemen and other services.   They deserve it ,every penny , dealing with drunks and some very unpleasant situations . So do nurses and other medical personnel responsibility should be recognised and rewarded.   

Yes and like the firemen they have always contributed to their pensions unlike MHK’s and the likes .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Two-lane said:

only requirement (as far as I see) is GCSE English. Pretty much everyone qualifies for that.

I think the MF Grammar Police might disagree with you!!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I wouldn’t do it for 32k tbh. It’s a really tough job in so many ways . Yes it has perks but lots of what you come across and see is not pleasant and tough to deal with. Also there never really off duty. Upmost respect for police officers and the job they do. Yes some have made bad choices but like all of us basically there human and make mistakes. I have cousins in the Met and in the force in Cheshire and they love it and have looked to transfer but there are not sure how long it would take to reach the rank there at now. Incidently they probably know the Island better than me having visited since babies in Summer holidays and as they have got older. 

What are some of these perks you speak of 😆 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Are you named after an F1 racing driver? is another question allegedly

Naming your kid after someone famous is a reflection on the parents surely?

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

What are some of these perks you speak of 😆 

Warrant cards . You still have them ? Police I knew back in the day would get in everywhere with then…on or off duty lol. Been with one who got into City v Liverpool game. Shifts can give you more consecutive days off too. I’m sure there’s lots more lol   

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Naming your kid after someone famous is a reflection on the parents surely?

Was thinking of family names, rather than given names. There’s one notorious one.

• Like 1