IOM Constabulary recruitment

joebean

7 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not necessarily. I know of two convicted drink drivers who were kept on as coppers, one after crashing while drunk. 

Isn't this the whopper who was making the Facebook videos over TT fortnight encouraging us to be safe on the roads?

Let's park the post mortem for now and see what transpires at court

3 hours ago, woolley said:

Reminds me of the old one about the government's elephant eradication department.

"But there aren't any elephants here."

"Exactly. You can see what a splendid job we do."

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The true measure of society's success, is the absence of crime and disorder.  The true measure of the police's success is the prevention and detection of crime. 

Robert Peel's words, not mine. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Are you sure? Or is that the measure of an oppressive totalitarian regime, where difference, independence of view, dissent are suppressed. And strange offences and mental health diagnoses are dreamt up to oppress and suppress.

Sounds very 1984ish, and worrying.

If you note I was referring to society, not organs of state.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Robert Peel's words, not mine. 

From a very different era.  And to echo John's point, although he misinterpreted mine, an absence of crime because of state oppression is hardly a measure of success.  A utopia would be because a society works and modifies for all, the disadvantaged, the challengers etc. 

The fact that we have a relatively lower crime rate here is more due to the nature of the general populace, the lack of huge disparities in wealth and opportunity than police actions, I would suggest. 

• Like 3

On 8/14/2024 at 5:24 PM, swoopy2110 said:

Yeh, which is bollocks of course.

If you had nothing to hide he'd have had no issues doing the test.

Is he married to the road safety staff member of the same surname? There’s an idea for a new campaign.

Edited by Lightening McQueen

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not necessarily. I know of two convicted drink drivers who were kept on as coppers, one after crashing while drunk. 

Isn't this the whopper who was making the Facebook videos over TT fortnight encouraging us to be safe on the roads?

I think you are correct. The social media face of the IOM Police roads policing unit for TT. 

I wonder if he was also the same police poster who made popular the #herbert insult to members of the public.

Who is the #Herbert now! Karma it I have ever seen it. 

I said from the start that it was not very professional for the police to post like that, mainly for likes and to stroke their egos. Police media went from useful updates back in Derek Flint’s days to rubbishing members of the public. It doesnt even suprise me this copper was caught out, clearly the professional standards have such a low bar these days. 

#HERBERT

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

From a very different era.  And to echo John's point, although he misinterpreted mine, an absence of crime because of state oppression is hardly a measure of success.  A utopia would be because a society works and modifies for all, the disadvantaged, the challengers etc. 

The fact that we have a relatively lower crime rate here is more due to the nature of the general populace, the lack of huge disparities in wealth and opportunity than police actions, I would suggest. 

Peelian principles have decanted down to the principles of today and into the Code of Ethics. 

I generally agree with your last statement. As Gary Roberts would have put it, ,uch happens in spite of us, not because of us. 

And policing is a much more complex construct than simply the function of the office of Constable 

4 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

I think you are correct. The social media face of the IOM Police roads policing unit for TT. 

I wonder if he was also the same police poster who made popular the #herbert insult to members of the public.

Who is the #Herbert now! Karma it I have ever seen it. 

I said from the start that it was not very professional for the police to post like that, mainly for likes and to stroke their egos. Police media went from useful updates back in Derek Flint’s days to rubbishing members of the public. It doesnt even suprise me this copper was caught out, clearly the professional standards have such a low bar these days. 

#HERBERT

A senior police officer from the island told me only a couple of weeks ago that "things have moved on since your day". 

They are due to be appointing a dedicated engagement officer soon who is very well experienced, so perhaps things will go to a new level.

10 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Surprised that Manchester Airport incident hasn't cropped up on here for discussion.  If you're going to break a policewoman's nose and put two others on their arse, a head kicking is entirely justified. 

They were lucky this was in the UK. Try that at an US airport and it’s lethal force almost guaranteed and justified under their rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s never as simple as that. There may be all sorts of defences.

He did blow and the machine wasn’t working or calibrated correctly and didn’t register.

There were legitimate medical reasons not to blow and he wasn’t offered a blood test

The correct procedure wasn’t used, and for instance, he wasn’t warned of the consequences.

Ive successfully raised all three.

OK, well all this was not made clear from the newspaper article. People can only draw conclusions from the facts as presented, if they are not privy to such details.

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK, well all this was not made clear from the newspaper article. People can only draw conclusions from the facts as presented, if they are not privy to such details.

Well, it couldn’t be. He’s been charged, pleaded not guilty and the trial is several months away.

one poster said he wouldn’t have refused to provide a sample if he was not guilty.

I was pointing out three possible technical defences, there are others, there are factual defences. I wasn’t saying any did, or didn’t, apply to him.

It’s sub judice. What is reported in the press doesn’t permit or admit of any conclusions other than

1. He’s been charged and what with

2. he’s pleaded not guilty

3. there’s to be a pre trial review and trial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Peelian principles have decanted down to the principles of today and into the Code of Ethics. 

I generally agree with your last statement. As Gary Roberts would have put it, ,uch happens in spite of us, not because of us. 

And policing is a much more complex construct than simply the function of the office of Constable 

I am sure Peelian principles do persist in current codes and policies, there is much to hang on to.   It was an unattributed quote from nearly 200 years ago, that may have benefitted from some attribution.

Unfortunately, often with even 200 year old soundbites, if you develop them further,  they lose the intended impact.  So, if the absence of crime and disorder is the measure of success, the fact that there is still crime and disorder is a measure of failure.

Not that I believe the police have failed, far from it,  and I do appreciate that there are many complexities. :rolleyes:

• Like 1