IOM Constabulary recruitment

joebean

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’d all be charged as fail to provide, and those three are all possible defences

so the police fuck up and somebody else gets charged ??   sounds about right.

9 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

So what harm was caused to the public?

We do not need police with guns walking down stand street. Completely unnecessary and authoritarian. When the public see that they become alarmed and think an incident is occuring, causing panic. 

Bring back PC Griffiths and Paddy, that is the type of community officer the public wants to see in the highstreet not robocops. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

We do not need police with guns walking down stand street. Completely unnecessary and authoritarian. When the public see that they become alarmed and think an incident is occuring, causing panic. 

Bring back PC Griffiths and Paddy, that is the type of community officer the public wants to see in the highstreet not robocops. 

I've yet to see armed police routinely walking down strand street.

Maybe you need to chill out a bit, I'm a member of the public and if I see an armed officer I don't immediately panic thinking everyone is going to die. 

I'm sure if there's someone down strand street waving a gun or a knife about you'll be happy to see unarmed bobbies going and dealing with it but I'm sure the unarmed bobbies would prefer something to defend themselves with

Edited by thommo2010
  • Like 4

I can see some logic in turning up to some situations (with a low probability of having to use weapons) as a training opportunity...and that there is an argument that without the regular deployment of armed cops, there would be more chance of an overreaction when a situation might look very serious but turn out not to be.

In a nutshell, poor training could cost a life unnecessarily.

Of course, there is an opposing argument that more frequent deployments lead to a higher probability of an accidental shooting. 

Whatever, I think the police here still need to justify the increased number of armed responses to both politicians and to reassure the public. They exist to serve the public.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Of course, there is an opposing argument that more frequent deployments lead to a higher probability of an accidental shooting. 

Whatever, I think the police here still need to justify the increased number of armed responses to both politicians and to reassure the public. They exist to serve the public.

This is I think very true.  I don't think the training argument holds at all, you shouldn't train on real life, not just because of the risks but also because it doesn't work as well as training.  You can't monitor actions to the same extent or stop and start again for example.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

This is I think very true.  I don't think the training argument holds at all, you shouldn't train on real life, not just because of the risks but also because it doesn't work as well as training.  You can't monitor actions to the same extent or stop and start again for example.

Stinger training on public roads during rush hour?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/video-shows-dramatic-police-chase-through-isle-of-mans-streets-as-stingers-deployed-662082

4 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

No they don't.

It's a command decision taken by a nationally qualified senior officer, who then has to have that ratified by an even more qualified more senior officer.

If you can be bothered, you can read the following link which explains around 80% of what the deployment of armed officers entails.

https://www.college.police.uk/app/armed-policing 

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

No they don't.

It's a command decision taken by a nationally qualified senior officer, who then has to have that ratified by an even more qualified more senior officer.

If you can be bothered, you can read the following link which explains around 80% of what the deployment of armed officers entails.

https://www.college.police.uk/app/armed-policing 

Yes...but why the increase suddenly? The island has become that more dangerous in a year?

• Like 2