Isle of Man Post Office…Amazon delivery

Laxey

On 7/12/2024 at 10:28 PM, Gladys said:

The issue with water, and primarily I mean bottles of drinking water, is the weight of shipping something that is available from a tap in most countries with a reasonable infrastructure,  while there are many places in the world which still have to drink untreated water from a well or stand pipe.  Just a symbol of gross consumerism. 

When I was a child the very concept of paying for something that was basically free and perfectly safe and available would have been risible.  In fact, I can remember when asking for a fizzy drink being told to have some 'corporation pop'.

Quite right. Back in the 80s, when I first saw stacks of bottled Perrier in the supermarket, I almost peed myself laughing. That'll never catch on, thought I. How wrong can you be? They convinced the young and foolish that the stuff coming out of the tap was far inferior, and unhealthy to drink, and the rest is history. Triumph of marketing over good sense. Of course, they never mentioned the particles of microplastics in the bottles that migrated into the water.

• Like 2

Just now, woolley said:

Quite right. Back in the 80s, when I first saw stacks of bottled Perrier in the supermarket, I almost peed myself laughing. That'll never catch on, thought I. How wrong can you be? They convinced the young and foolish that the stuff coming out of the tap was far inferior, and unhealthy to drink, and the rest is history. Triumph of marketing over good sense. Of course, they never mentioned the particles of microplastics in the bottles that migrated into the water.

Yes, remember the Perrier marketing, quite an achievement and not in a good way.  Also remember the Only Fools and Horses (IIRC) episode when Del Boy exploited the trend trying to sell Peckham's finest water, as if anyone would be fool enough to fall for that! 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, remember the Perrier marketing, quite an achievement and not in a good way.  Also remember the Only Fools and Horses (IIRC) episode when Del Boy exploited the trend trying to sell Peckham's finest water, as if anyone would be fool enough to fall for that! 

Yes, I remember the marketing. I also remember the Sun headline EAU NO! when there was a contaminated batch that had to be quickly withdrawn from sale.

As for Peckham Spring, truth is often stranger than fiction. Coca-Cola launched something similar called Desani that was very quickly pulled when the facts got out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Did a stint with the brewery some years ago when they were about to dump a pallet full of water in glass bottles because it was near it's sell by date...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, woolley said:

Yes, I remember the marketing. I also remember the Sun headline EAU NO! when there was a contaminated batch that had to be quickly withdrawn from sale.

As for Peckham Spring, truth is often stranger than fiction. Coca-Cola launched something similar called Desani that was very quickly pulled when the facts got out.

Voss is tap water ...

4 hours ago, woolley said:

I was amused to discover that Coca-Cola still produce the brand (which originated in the US) which everywhere is just processed tap water.  The Wiki article is quite instructive (and includes Del Boy references):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani

Had quite a few more Amazon deliveries this week and all good so far….all delivered by IOM Post Office and when they should have been…..much better than Evri these days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laxey said:

Had quite a few more Amazon deliveries this week and all good so far….all delivered by IOM Post Office and when they should have been…..much better than Evri these days!

Evri have always been fine, we will be paying for the post office inefficiencies one way or another, I notice the minimum order value for free amazon shipping has recently jumped from 25 to 35 and amazon delay shipping on non prime orders by a few days. Much better using eBay with delivery by evri a couple of days later rather than waiting a week for amazon 

Edited by FatRoundMiddle

5 minutes ago, FatRoundMiddle said:

Evri have always been fine, we will be paying for the post office inefficiencies one way or another, I notice the minimum order value for free amazon shipping has recently jumped from 25 to 35 and amazon delay shipping on non prime orders by a few days. Much better using eBay with delivery by evri a couple of days later rather than waiting a week for amazon 

I have 2 deliveries last week from Amazon arriving the day after ordering

3 hours ago, FatRoundMiddle said:

I've had good service from Evri recently, but less so in the past, with stuff vanishing.  I think it depends on the driver, there seems nothing to maintain consistency. 

The free shipping minimum went up from £25 to £35 some weeks ago, before this deal was announced I think and it's general to the UK, not just to pay for Stu Peters.  They're clearly also using all the usual tricks to sign you up to Prime or pay £5 extra to get something 'next day' without you noticing.  Which is tedious and annoying.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It's all the fault of social media, says Stu...

Screenshot_20240724-142558_Facebook.jpg

Well it can be with lots claiming late deliveries when they never even order anything!, there’s probably many100s of 000s of deliveries every month so always something is going to get delayed somewhere, it’s identity where delay is uk or Iom is probably difficult