Isle of Man Post Office…Amazon delivery

Laxey

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally is the wondrous new sorting machine helping deliver all these extra parcels any faster - or indeed working at all?

Apparently working fine although unions weren’t keen as not so many staff needed as machine does the work, although I’m sure someone will dispute this fact!!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally is the wondrous new sorting machine helping deliver all these extra parcels any faster - or indeed working at all?

The sorting machine is working well. However it takes as many staff (ZHC) to staff/operate it as were previously involved in manual sorting, 4 - 6 to load it and a similar number to process and distribute what it sorts.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The sorting machine is working well. However it takes as many staff (ZHC) to staff/operate it as were previously involved in manual sorting, 4 - 6 to load it and a similar number to process and distribute what it sorts.

That's sort of what I expected the end result would be.  The trouble with the isle of Man is that cost-saving solutions that are actually useful elsewhere, don't 'scale down'.  Fixed overheads in running procedures mean that lower volumes and fewer options (in this case the number of delivery routes that the parcels need to be sorted into) means that the savings vanish.  That's before you take into account capital and maintenance costs and so on, which might then wipe out any saving there could be.

But management can say "Look we're automating!".  Which is what matters.

• Like 1

After numerous Amazon parcels delivered on time under the new IOM Post contract…..had my first missing parcel.

Amazon have sorted very efficiently but where the heck can a parcel go missing?! Unless it was damaged and got returned to sender?

51 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I bet it doesn't take any fewer managers to manage it either.

Apparently one manager left to join the CS management with crazy Dave. 
previously the post job was dead man’s shoes, now they can’t get any staff. If they do they last weeks not years. Due to lack of cover staff, and according to the chairman, this cOvId sickness period, Mail is left on frames to a maximum 3 days then it has to go out. The golden egg of Amazon which is running at just or less than profit (however they never costed in the return of pallets) has to go out regardless. Normal packets and parcels are left and will be delivered when possible. 
so many staff on long term sickness too. 

• Haha 1

One manager left to join Prison Service I think.

PO recruitment not helped by the minimum T&Cs now offered, minimum wage, 6 day weeks, ZHCs, unsociable hours, minimum (if any) sick pay and holiday entitlement. And a lot of short-notice running around covering for minimum staffing policy which has left no cover for contingencies, as posted above.

Although these terms don't feature in the HQ office block, strangely.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

One manager left to join Prison Service I think.

PO recruitment not helped by the minimum T&Cs now offered, minimum wage, 6 day weeks, ZHCs, unsociable hours, minimum (if any) sick pay and holiday entitlement. And a lot of short-notice running around covering for minimum staffing policy which has left no cover for contingencies, as posted above.

Although these terms don't feature in the HQ office block, strangely.

Absolutely bollocks and unbelievable as usual 😂

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Absolutely bollocks and unbelievable as usual 😂

People on ZHC are working in the PO at 10pm on Sunday evenings readying the mail for Monday delivery; whilst you've got your armchair pulled up to your net curtains eyeballing your teacher neighbours....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

People on ZHC are working in the PO at 10pm on Sunday evenings readying the mail for Monday delivery; whilst you've got your armchair pulled up to your net curtains eyeballing your teacher neighbours....

They’re students & others who have other jobs but want extra money for whatever, perhaps get correct information first before posting incorrect information from your disgruntled postie mate!

If you want some extra money you could apply 😀

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

They’re students & others who have other jobs but want extra money for whatever, perhaps get correct information first before posting incorrect information from your disgruntled postie mate!

If you want some extra money you could apply 😀

What is incorrect about it? ZHC working at 10pm Sunday evenings as stated.

While you're obsessively staring at your neighbours properties. Sick.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Haha 1

Apparently the new PO deal is damaging the private firms that otherwise did delivery for Amazon to the Island.

I have to admit delivery has been better since the change but it does stink of usual Manx Government Cartel.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 7:04 PM, Non-Believer said:

What is incorrect about it? ZHC working at 10pm Sunday evenings as stated.

While you're obsessively staring at your neighbours properties. Sick.

I have stopped worrying about it. Stuff is arriving on time and reliability. What ever has changed.....it's good. 

• Like 3