Proof Reading

homeoneday

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Double quotes I tend to reserve for direct speech, to indicate something is being quoted verbatim, though single quotes can be used for quotation nested within that as stated above. 

Traditional American styles, which you're explaining, are double with single used inside with the British being the opposite.  But now you see more use of American style. Traditionally, you wouldn't differentiate between direct speech and other quotes.  Things change though so there is no proper way

Odd ... I was taught as Roger was. 45 odd years ago at King Bills. Gawd that makes me feel old!

I'm pretty certain Mr Hoy wouldn't have thought it American style. Learn something new every day.

9 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I can recommend ‘Fermat’s Last Theorem’ by Simon Singh - a great read!

Thanks, will put that on my list.  Won't tell you which list, but it will be on it! 

• Haha 2

I do not like the excessive use of apostrophe's, such as this:

"The education minister says there'll be a small number of exceptions, including those who need access to their phones for medical reasons."

It seems to be considered to be a "modern" style of writing, with some articles littered with the damn things.

Speech is not the same as text.

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I do not like the excessive use of apostrophe's, such as this:

"The education minister says there'll be a small number of exceptions, including those who need access to their phones for medical reasons."

It seems to be considered to be a "modern" style of writing, with some articles littered with the damn things.

Speech is not the same as text.

Apostrophes or quotation marks?  The apostrophe in the quote is absolutely correct as it indicates that letters are missing due to a contraction of two words. 

Whereas the apostrophe in your opening paragraph is unnecessary as it is a plural, not a possessive.