Loss-making Wildlife Park

According to the IOM Newspapers, it seems the Wildlife Park has recorded a £500,000 loss. It has a visitor count of 50,000 through the gates.

True to form, IOMG have employed consultants to try and stem the losses. It would be shame if this part of islands tourist offering, and also part of the islands life, had to close. Sadly the island is haemorrhaging money, and sacrifices will be needed. The cynic in me says the site, would be a developers dream. 

It would be interesting to hear the views of the areas MHKs, CM Cannan and Minister Johnston.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 4

I visited with some rels last summer, it was £12 or £13 entry per adult. No doubt the consultants will wish to see that raised but one would hope that they will look closely to see where the money is being lost too. Quite a few charities support operations in there too so a breakdown of what's losing the money is vital.

Do they close all through practice and race week and MGP etc ? Guess they must so there’s staff salaries still to be paid without any income. And of course still feed for the animals . Got to say last time I was in I wasn’t impressed and very few animals of any note .

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Do they close all through practice and race week and MGP etc ? Guess they must so there’s staff salaries still to be paid without any income. And of course still feed for the animals . Got to say last time I was in I wasn’t impressed and very few animals of any note .

It stays open access via the old railway line.

Was reading about this earlier according to them it costs £500,000 a year to run has 50,000 visitors each year yet looses £500,000 per year?

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

According to the IOM Newspapers, it seems the Wildlife Park has recorded a £500,000 loss. It has a visitor count of 50,000 through the gates.

True to form, IOMG have employed consultants to try and stem the losses. It would be shame if this part of islands tourist offering, and also part of the islands life, had to close. Sadly the island is haemorrhaging money, and sacrifices will be needed. The cynic in me says the site, would be a developers dream. 

It would be interesting to hear the views of the areas MHKs, CM Cannan and Minister Johnston.

Hard to see how the site would be a developer's dreams, it's a marsh and isn't near anywhere?

If the cafe was better sited (i.e. without requiring admission) they would see more commercial revenue, with the big car park and relatively scenic location. 

• Like 3

A wildlife park is ever going to make money with the smal,population we have , just not enough footfall. We’ve always enjoyed visits and children seem to like it , we always got a season ticket but this is a few years ago now.

All government facilities eg villa/gaiety, NSC, trains, trams, buses etc lose money and we either accept that or close or sell off and hop private operators will take them on.

• Like 4

Government run so it’s fu**ed straight away, just look at all Gov run facilities!! Probably would be better if it was privately run and it would turn the place around. Cannan has got to have the worst track record for fu**ing everything he has touched. I believe he is the major problem/issue with this Government!

My children loved the Wild Life Park and so do my grandchildren as for not many animals you are surely due a trip to Spec Savers we got a leaflet for the children with all the animals on and they ticked them off as we went around there were loads of different animals and the children had a great time culminating in a trip to the Cafe which was fine too.    There are different trails you can explore and it is truly value for money.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Banker said:

A wildlife park is ever going to make money with the smal,population we have , just not enough footfall. We’ve always enjoyed visits and children seem to like it , we always got a season ticket but this is a few years ago now.

All government facilities eg villa/gaiety, NSC, trains, trams, buses etc lose money and we either accept that or close or sell off and hop private operators will take them on.

You have a point and whilst many IOMG facilities either lose money or operate at a loss, the islands dire economic situation means that losses are now unacceptable, and hard decisions need to be taken - which will sadly upset a lot of people.