Ray Reardon...

Didn’t watch much of that, but I did hear the commentator say there’d been 6 century breaks in the whole tournament. These days you get that in a single match. And back then the matches were much longer. Snooker quality clearly much higher now than then - Reardon probably wouldn’t win anything if he’d have been competing today. 

15 hours ago, wrighty said:

Didn’t watch much of that, but I did hear the commentator say there’d been 6 century breaks in the whole tournament. These days you get that in a single match. And back then the matches were much longer. Snooker quality clearly much higher now than then - Reardon probably wouldn’t win anything if he’d have been competing today. 

Seriously doubt that 

On 7/21/2024 at 8:21 AM, wrighty said:

Except if he was playing today he’d be practicing the same as modern players and up his game. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 5:35 PM, Mr. Sausages said:

Except if he was playing today he’d be practicing the same as modern players and up his game. 

Interesting point, but I disagree. 

Take Alex Higgins. He was a natural genius of the game, but when Steve Davis came along (arguably the first ‘practice 23 hours a day’ player) he couldn’t keep up. Neither could any of the old guard, including Reardon himself. It took new players, from Hendry onwards to take Davis down, and since then the game has been much harder to get into. 

This is not to take anything away from Reardon - you can only compete against your peers, and he was the finest in a generation - but Davis and subsequent players took snooker to another level. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Anyone said:

The pockets are bigger and the balls are smaller than in the days of Ray Reardon. That’s the reason for more 100 breaks now.

I doubt they’ve changed. The cloth and the cushion elasticity are probably more standardised though which may make table conditions more consistent. 

For big pockets watch US pool - like buckets. 

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

Interesting point, but I disagree. 

Take Alex Higgins. He was a natural genius of the game, but when Steve Davis came along (arguably the first ‘practice 23 hours a day’ player) he couldn’t keep up. Neither could any of the old guard, including Reardon himself. 

Reardon is twenty-five years older than Davis. 

I have to say I have enjoyed this thread, even as an excuse to just binge watch a few snooker finals from the 70s and 80s and gaze in on that world after all these years.

I didn't even realise just how much of a champ Ray Reardon was in the 70s - he was on the wane by the time I saw championship snooker on the TV as a kid.

That 1985 snooker final between Davis and Taylor though. Incredible.

Edited by loaf

19 hours ago, wrighty said:

I doubt they’ve changed. The cloth and the cushion elasticity are probably more standardised though which may make table conditions more consistent. 

For big pockets watch US pool - like buckets. 

Apart from the pockets and balls I forgot to mention that back then the tables were 50% bigger and the cues were half the length. That hampered them a bit as well. That’s balls for you.