Is there anywhere on the island, that you can park a Caravan, Motor home, and live in it all year round ?

Timothy2

Is there anywhere on the island, that you can park a Caravan / Motor home, and live in it all year round ?

As i have just had a job offer on the island, but can`t find any accomodation, but i do have a motor home, so can i live in it some where on the island, ideally douglas area ?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Try one of the motor home/camp sites around the island.

Union Mills - just outside Douglas on the bus route,

https://www.visitisleofman.com/stay/glenlough-campsite-p1287361

None of them are open in winter. However the one that you refer to does have some permanent residents by the looks of it. Worth a try.

Also worth checking searchforsites website. Lots of free spots marked. If you are prepared to keep moving the island has a high tolerance to this. I know a few that 'cruise' around the free spots and no one bothers them

Peel quayside

Port Erin breakwater (where there are toilets and showers)

Nobles Park (paid aire)

Castletown beach

Ramsey Prom (where they is water and black waste disposal)

PM me if you need any help..

On 7/24/2024 at 7:07 PM, Anyone said:

Do you tarmac driveways by any chance? Badly.

For this very reason there is, or certainly used to be, a law against caravans on the Island. It started to be broken during TT when lots of motoring laws tend to be forgiven/forgotten. Then motorhomes got popular and it seems the law has been forgotten or abolished.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Casta said:

For this very reason there is, or certainly used to be, a law against caravans on the Island. It started to be broken during TT when lots of motoring laws tend to be forgiven/forgotten. Then motorhomes got popular and it seems the law has been forgotten or abolished.

Urban Myth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

Urban Myth

I'm disappointed.

Along with being allowed to kill a Scot (although they were, I later understood, had to be dressed in full battle gear and on the beach) I was looking forward to telling a caravan owner or two, to "get orf my Island".

1 hour ago, Casta said:

I'm disappointed.

Along with being allowed to kill a Scot (although they were, I later understood, had to be dressed in full battle gear and on the beach) I was looking forward to telling a caravan owner or two, to "get orf my Island".

Until 1961 vehicles had to be craned on and off the old ships. Perhaps a dozen max. There was no DoDo or RoRo. There were no caravans because there was no planning for caravan camp sites, because it was next to impossible to get them here, so there there was no demand.

Even when we got the 4 side loader car ferries, with their ramps, caravans weren’t practical. There was a height restriction of just over 2.1 metres, and some tight turns. On Manx Maid and Ben the Liverpool landing stage exit and entrance was level with the landing stage and there was a turntable on the car deck to manoeuvre vehicles.

Still no planning for caravans. This may have been to avoid an invasion of fixed seaside caravan parks, which some thought of as blots on the landscape.

1979, and along comes Manx Line and RoRo and the height restriction went. But still no planning.

Motorhomes, converted VW’s, Commers, Transits, etc were always allowed. 

Larger motorhomes, or US styled RV’s started to come over, race vans started to appear, for visitors, and locals alike.

Manx Line and Steam Packet still discouraged caravans. In collaboration with which ever government departments were responsible for planning and tourism they instituted a totally illegal system of permits  before carriage. 

Things started to loosen as residents sought the freedom to buy, own, store, caravans.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:18 AM, Happier diner said:

I just remembered. The new site in port Erin is open all year round

Reayrt vradda

Excuse my spelling 

No permanent residence allowed, however since the ‘leader’ of PE commissioner is in bed with Reayrt Vradda he is allowing permanent residence and disregarding all the covenant on the building of this present dump. Any suggestion that this eyesore is an eyesore or worse is shut down within PE commissioners. Three seasons this shit hole has been going on, thousands of tonnes of earth just being shunted around with no progress whatsoever. 
I suppose creating the IoM first trailer trash park is worth celebrating. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 6:14 AM, John Wright said:

Things started to loosen as residents sought the freedom to buy, own, store, caravans.

or in the case of just past the Braaid Roundabout -just dump an old green one on the side of the road with a cone beside it to make it all OK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2024 at 9:32 PM, Gizo said:

No permanent residence allowed, however since the ‘leader’ of PE commissioner is in bed with Reayrt Vradda he is allowing permanent residence and disregarding all the covenant on the building of this present dump. Any suggestion that this eyesore is an eyesore or worse is shut down within PE commissioners. Three seasons this shit hole has been going on, thousands of tonnes of earth just being shunted around with no progress whatsoever. 
I suppose creating the IoM first trailer trash park is worth celebrating. 

I was trying to find out what was going on with this and noted that all updates are covered in the Commissioners private meetings. It’s crooked as.

• Like 1

It truly is a shitty eyesore,  when if it was done properly and professionally landscaped it would be an asset to Port Iron. 
Who on earth would invest in this project when it looks like a dump and a home for end of life mobile homes to park up.