School Mobile Phone Bans

Bill1977

We've come a long way. 50 years ago there were no calculators in school, anywhere. 49 years ago they were considering whether or not to ban them.

(Incidentally, all my chemistry imperical formulas were returned to 8 decimal places - why? because I could)

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

We've come a long way. 50 years ago there were no calculators in school, anywhere. 49 years ago they were considering whether or not to ban them.

(Incidentally, all my chemistry imperical formulas were returned to 8 decimal places - why? because I could)

I left school 50 years ago. I did all science A levels. We used mental arithmetic, logarithms, and a slide rule. But i did have a Sinclair Executive calculator at home. Like a TV remote with a red neon display. Think they were introduced in 1972.

Empirical?

IMG_5755.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

There were no calculators when I was at school, nor were there spelling checkers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I left school 50 years ago. I did all science A levels. We used mental arithmetic, logarithms, and a slide rule. But i did have a Sinclair Executive calculator at home. Like a TV remote with a red neon display. Think they were introduced in 1972.

Empirical?

IMG_5755.jpeg

Watch this space on Science, there’s a bigger shortage of Science teachers than other subjects. 

Unfortunately for the layman it can be a bit of a tricky subject to understand. 

7 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

Watch this space on Science, there’s a bigger shortage of Science teachers than other subjects. 

There's an even bigger shortage of people willing to teach entitled little brats that know their rights, but refuse to learn their responsibilities...at half the rate they can get in private industry...and therein lies the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There's an even bigger shortage of people willing to teach entitled little brats that know their rights, but refuse to learn their responsibilities...at half the rate they can get in private industry...and therein lies the problem. 

Quite, by all accounts it’s one of the more stressful modern jobs. We could be in a war zone, but when you are constantly undermined by pubescent teenagers and have no backing from above it can be a soul destroying existence. Both genders are leaving, but the sight of a male teacher in a secondary school is becoming less and less frequent. My son has one male teacher on his timetable aside from PE.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bill1977 said:

Apart from maths. That's the one that has the biggest shortage.

On 7/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, Two-lane said:

Oh, c'mon Glady's. I was making a joke about Barlow misspelling "imperial formula's" - when even in my day we were using metric.

It was the predictive text, or something. Damned technology.

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Apart from maths. That's the one that has the biggest shortage.

Maybe, just maybe those two subjects require a certain type of wiring to understand it to the level required to teach it to A level standard.

Let’s face it, beyond general arithmetic and one or two other parts of the syllabus, nobody uses most of the things you learn in a Maths classroom in later life.

The same goes for Science. Science can explain the world, but nobody looks at boiling water and says the molecules are moving faster and when their bonds break they will turn from liquid to gas!