School Mobile Phone Bans

Bill1977

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually it still (sort of) exists.  The old elected Board of Education was abolished about 20 years ago (it's surprisingly difficult to get dates for all this) and replaced by something called the Education Council.  Naturally this didn't involve anything as vulgar as elections, just the usual 'trusties' being appointed to advise the Department (ie agree to everything the civil servants propose, no matter how ridiculous).  Actual in-depth knowledge of education may be considered a disadvantage.  The current membership is exactly as you'd expect with the usual ex-MHKs, retired civil servants/LA officials/charity types.  And inevitably Carol Glover:

Education Council Members

• Mrs Malgorzata Simpson
  • Mr Alex Downie
  • Mrs Barbara Brereton
  • Mrs Kelly Quaye
  • Mrs Carol Glover
  • Mrs Janet Bailey
  • Mr Peter Whiteway
  • Mr Joff Whitten

It only seems to meet quarterly, but its members also supply a lot of the governors to school boards (as the old Board of Ed used to).

And one might wonder what formal and relevant qualifications this collection of "worthies" and double-dippers might have for these lofty posts because I can see names there who rather than administering anything to do with education, could actually do with receiving some.

• Like 1

There's so much bureaucracy these days and very little proper action. Tutor time and other such things don't seem to be making an difference. Reduce the length of the school day like they do in other countries so school isn't the only major thing in their life. Make school 9am-3pm with clubs after school for those who are interested.

The first people who should be accountable for their children are the parents. 

• Like 2

I'm amazed that every class room these days isn't equipped with a mobile phone jammer. Press of a button and Hey Presto! It could be time controled for lessons and breaks, no problem.
There again, I am not au fait with children's absolute legal rights and entitlement these days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And one might wonder what formal and relevant qualifications this collection of "worthies" and double-dippers might have for these lofty posts because I can see names there who rather than administering anything to do with education, could actually do with receiving some.

Is that Alex Downie former MHK?  Surely he wouldn't have anything at all to offer for a modern school?

6 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

Absolutely. It was got rid of because it could, and did hold people to account. The likes of Pat Corrin used to be elected by larger numbers of people than many MHKs and so had real authority and a mandate - no 'minister' was going to stand for that. Many people think it still exists, not realising it was replace by a bunch of stooges and usual suspects. That being said, at one time the board had 24 members, many senile and some quite mad, so perhaps they thought it duplicated the Keys.

And it used to meet in public.

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Is that Alex Downie former MHK?  Surely he wouldn't have anything at all to offer for a modern school?

Why not? He will have seen several generations of school behavioural change and may well have gran kids to have a knowledge of current behaviour?

Plus, he has a brain and a desire to help???

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

this collection of "worthies" and double-dippers might have for these lofty posts

....but what would you do N-B? Just take the kudos or add your two penny and hope it's a worthwhile addition to the discussion?

On 7/23/2024 at 7:23 PM, TheTeapot said:

Those kids will only learn if you beat it into them.

I went to a school where the teachers were allowed to cane kids on the hand. Then some namby-pamby dogooder complained about permanent nerve damage, or some nonsense, and got it stopped.

44 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

I went to a school where the teachers were allowed to cane kids on the hand. Then some namby-pamby dogooder complained about permanent nerve damage, or some nonsense, and got it stopped.

Yes, back in the day there were a lot of repetitive wrist injuries for teachers who regularly 'administered' the cane. It often really did hurt them more than it hurt the miscreant 😆 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

I'm amazed that every class room these days isn't equipped with a mobile phone jammer. Press of a button and Hey Presto! It could be time controled for lessons and breaks, no problem.
There again, I am not au fait with children's absolute legal rights and entitlement these days. 

Wouldn't stop them playing games on them, or even airdropping photos - the modern day equivalent of passing notes presumably. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Because 'phone jammers are illegal - maybe.

I realise that now - thanks. Then change the law to make them legal in schools. Or rather attempt to change the law - the debate in House of Keys and LegCo would highlight whether this is a problem or not.

I note phone jammers are easily available on Amazon. I might get one to stop the loudly spoken self-important fuckers on our train in UK. But actually, on second thoughts, that probably wouldn't have much effect as some continue their loud gobshite even in a three mile train tunnel, when the rest of the train have actually put down their phones/iPads. 

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read

Minister Caine says the policy won't come into force from the start of the new school year as she wants to make sure parents/guardians and students have been communicated with properly.

Edited by lfc84
spelling !
  • Haha 1