Passports to use the tip

Bosley

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't it all end up at the same place anyway so what difference does it make which amenity site it goes to?

You would think so .. but there is layers of local authority and national government bullshit shovel jockeys passing invoices around just to move money about for the sake of keeping some ones wife/girlfriend/mum/dad/son/bit on the side in a job and a pension scheme.

• Like 7

can't argue with the previous 3 posts.  i wonder  when i'm walking around douglas after coming out of the works christmas do whether they should turn the street lights off as i don't pay douglas rates??

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

can't argue with the previous 3 posts.  i wonder  when i'm walking around douglas after coming out of the works christmas do whether they should turn the street lights off as i don't pay douglas rates??

Just close your eyes and we won't fine you.

58 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Moves like this just increase fly-tipping. Everyone lives somewhere on island and everyone needs to dump shoite occasionally...so other than checking it's not commercial waste what does it really matter?

Because the bride idiots have decided they’re not contributing anything to the cost of running the amenities centre even though they have some of lowest rates on the island so maybe ban all bride residents for everything!

57 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Moves like this just increase fly-tipping. Everyone lives somewhere on island and everyone needs to dump shoite occasionally...so other than checking it's not commercial waste what does it really matter?

It matters because each local authority charges its ratepayers for rubbish disposal and is charged by the incinerator on weight, so the local ratepayers are effectively paying for another LA's waste disposal.  For some LAs that is the main service it provides to its ratepayers. 

Of course it wouldn't be such a big issue if there was a reform of LAs, at least to nake a single waste disposal authority, but do we think that would ever happen? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Of course it wouldn't be such a big issue if there was a reform of LAs, at least to nake a single waste disposal authority, but do we think that would ever happen? 

I fully understand the way it works currently, but reform is the first thing that should be happening.

Gov should then just charge each authority one set fee based per head population.

With all the admin gone, we would be back to sensible waste pricing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't it all end up at the same place anyway so what difference does it make which amenity site it goes to?

Because each authority is charged for what it sends to the incinerator and recovers that charge through the rates it levies on its ratepayers.  If others from other LAs use that amenity centre, that LA will have to pay for the disposal of their rubbish when it hasn't received the rates from those people.  In extremis, the rates will go up in that LA while the LA who is receiving the rates from those other people is pocketing a bonus. 

It is fair and reasonable, IMHO, until different LA arrangements are implemented.