IOMs economic strategy in tatters?

Idleweiss

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Bit of a stretch from your assertion. Maybe Ringy drives an EV, in which case I was definitely right. Cars should be taxed by weight.

Were they not many years ago? I seem to remember having to go to a weigh bridge. 

6 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Still pedaling the AI snake oil as our saviour.  Ignore all the red tape, regulations, lack of housing, poor infrastructure and profligate spending.  AI will solve it all. 

It seems we'll all get 200 hours of free training on it from the Govt too. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/watch-as-isle-of-man-government-unveils-new-ai-initiative-aimed-at-boosting-economy-709198

‘One would hope as we go through this journey that we find our own niche and our own unique selling point (USP) to differentiate ourselves from everybody else and that’s where hopefully we’ll see a new service and new part of the economy.’

At least they are willing to admit that they have no idea what the benefit will be and they just assume it will be good and the IOM will be good at it! 

This is real 'magic bean' stuff. Just making up numbers and crossing fingers.

You can be sure that IOMG will be the only organisation in the World to use AI as a tool to employ more people, and become even less efficient. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Nellie said:

This is real 'magic bean' stuff. Just making up numbers and crossing fingers.

You can be sure that IOMG will be the only organisation in the World to use AI as a tool to employ more people, and become even less efficient. 

When IOM Government reveal their new AI model 👇

clippy-microsoft.gif

• Haha 3

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/watch-as-isle-of-man-government-unveils-new-ai-initiative-aimed-at-boosting-economy-709198

Starring the man who has extensive specialities:

"Specialties: Portfolio Management, Programme Management, Project Management, Consulting, Investment Banking, Global Banking and Capital Markets, Financial Services, Cost Management, Finance Transformation, Benefits Management, PMO, Business Management, Complex Government Projects, IT, Business Change, HMG Security, Enterprise Project Management Tools, IT-enabled Transformation, Application and Infrastructure Security Architecture, Identity and Access Management."

Unfortunately AI is not one of them, but he has had a tax-payer funded trip to Singapore.

This is my recent experience of hi-tech in IoM gov. I needed a new driving licence while I was away.. The process is:

1. Send email to DoI, who, a day or so later, say you have to return form DL1

2. Get someone to print off form DL1

3. Buy black biro pen and complete for DL1

4 Get someone to scan in form DL1

5. Email scanned document to a neighbour

6. Neighbour prints off for DL1 and takes it to te Post Office

7. Post office takes form DL1 to Douglas, where it is lost for a few days

8 Post Office scans in form DL1 and runs it through OCR, and makes a few corrections by hand

9 Several weeks later driving licence arrives at my house

Whilst failing to get a hire car, the hire car lady said she would accept my driving licence app. She brought out one of these smart phone things clicked some buttons and showed me her driving licence. Spain. Somewhat light years ahead of the IoM.

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Bit of a stretch from your assertion. Maybe Ringy drives an EV, in which case I was definitely right. Cars should be taxed by weight.

Is there any evidence that car weights have any more than a nominal impact on road condition?

Yes I know there's the axle fourth law before anyone says, but that still means each wagon is 30000x (or whatever) the wear of one car, making the direct impact of car journeys pretty negligible, and the much bigger factor just number of HGVs or environmental factors (weather etc).

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Edit : duplicate 

Edited by Mercenary
Duplicate

7 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

When IOM Government reveal their new AI model 👇

clippy-microsoft.gif

That would actually be an improvement in graphic terms over what they have actually produced:

image.png.a91c43b93afda4656f5fab5b56ce9419.png

and it would probably work better as well (and it never worked that well).

Though I suppose you could say that "looking over-busy in a meaningless way" is pretty much DfE mission statement.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Is there any evidence that car weights have any more than a nominal impact on road condition?

Yes I know there's the axle fourth law before anyone says, but that still means each wagon is 30000x (or whatever) the wear of one car, making the direct impact of car journeys pretty negligible, and the much bigger factor just number of HGVs or environmental factors (weather etc).

It's simple physics. Yes. Road wear has two factors. Scrubbing off of the surface and repeated depression and expansion. Both are increased by weight. 

Strange. UK winding its horns in because it's got no money.

We've got no money either yet we're throwing it around like grass seed in the hope that some of it will take root apparently. It may be a good strategy but throwing it at ground that seems to be barren or unproven is questionable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's simple physics. Yes. Road wear has two factors. Scrubbing off of the surface and repeated depression and expansion. Both are increased by weight. 

Ok but if one bin wagon is equivalent of 30000 car trips ('simple physics'), add in various heavier delivery vans etc you can see why average car weight probably has very little influence, in comparison to weather/drainage and goods vehicles.

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Ok but if one bin wagon is equivalent of 30000 car trips ('simple physics'), add in various heavier delivery vans etc you can see why average car weight probably has very little influence, in comparison to weather/drainage and goods vehicles.

But there's lots more cars to catch in the taxation net and it's about revenue rather than much to do with road repair economics.

Or you could hammer HGVs etc even more for tax on the grounds that it's them doing most damage and then watch as goods and services provided by those vehicles go through the roof in costs passed on by their operators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put the tax on fuel. It's then user pays, covers pollution, weight and wear...............simples.

Won't work, too simple, too easy, doesn't need a new manager and minions, govt. didn't think of it. 😕

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1