Olympics, Paris, 2024

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Only if I'm talking to PK ;)

No it's some retired premiere league ref now. But the show is still a pleasant "I don't have to think about this to enjoy it" sort of watch.

Ok , goodnight . Thanks for the banter. 

• Thanks 1

There is also the story of the 61 year old Chinese table tennis player winning a match at this olympics. Read  Matthew Syed’s article about the match and her in today’s Times. It’s a great read. In fact I would recommend everyone should read Matthew Syed’s articles ( often sport as he was a world class table tennis player ) but also on many other issues. It’s a pity he was not a politician - I’d vote for him as PM. Common sense and empathy in spades.

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

I didn't block you from doing anything. What a weird accusation.

Did you watch the new season of Gladiators? Sheli McCoy is a woman:

17NvWev.jpeg

Did you watch The Rock's TV show that I forget the name of? Dani Speegle is a woman:

Jnp0iBe.jpeg

Yeah but they are definitely on roids. Majority of big body builders (male and female) are, despite what they say. Testosterone suplimentation (for males and females) is going pretty mainstream now. You can get a prescription for it. Easy in the states, a bit more tricky here, but possible.

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

The fact that the "you don't know what a woman is!" GC crowd are all jumping on the bandwagon of calling the boxer who was born a woman trans would be funny if it was less sad.

Ah, is this a Caster Semenya situation? Hadn't realised, makes it more nuanced. 

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah but they are definitely on roids. Majority of big body builders (male and female) are, despite what they say. Testosterone suplimentation (for males and females) is going pretty mainstream now. You can get a prescription for it. Easy in the states, a bit more tricky here, but possible.

Speegel definitely is yeah. McCoy I'm less certain. Might just be a genetic abnormality like MattDoesFitness.

Ah, is this a Caster Semenya situation? Hadn't realised, makes it more nuanced. 

Yup. She may well be capable of getting pregnant. Pretty womanly behaviour.

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Speegel definitely is yeah. McCoy I'm less certain. Might just be a genetic abnormality like MattDoesFitness.

Yup. She may well be capable of getting pregnant. Pretty womanly behaviour.

Personally my view is that if they were once a man, then they shouldn't be able to compete against women.  If as now seems that it is high testosterone (rather than balls) causing the issue here, then it gets very tricky to consider and shame on some of the vocal celebs like JK and Swimmer Sharon for hopping on the anti-trans rhetoric in this instance.  Unfortunately people's performance at sport is often dictated by their physical abnormalities e.g. Phelps has a 10% wider wingspan than an average person at his height.  In a sport of leverage, is that an unfair advantage?

Strength, height, build and aggression can be directly correlated to high testosterone levels.  A giant boxer will no doubt have higher levels of testosterone than an average guy.  Does this put him at an advantage - of course it does.  So where and how do you draw the line when it comes to people like this boxer or Caster, who seem to be inter or just with abnormally (but still naturally) high levels of testosterone.  To be honest, look at Sharon - she's got a fair sized jaw and some serious shoulders.  I bet she'd have higher testosterone levels than your average woman. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Phelps has a 10% wider wingspan than an average person at his height.  In a sport of leverage, is that an unfair advantage?

It absolutely is. But what can you do - elite sport self-selects people with genetic abnormalities. 

It is worth pointing out that this woman that people are intentionally misgender to create a narrative, has been beaten by women - multiple times in multiple competition fights.

Strange how none of the "its clearly about beating women" crowd seem to be acknowledging this.

• Like 1