Jurby Airport?

doc.fixit

It would really help if people could appreciate that seeking now to impose a constraint on future land use which might prejudice a potential future strategic need is not a current proposal for a new airport at Jurby.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Part of the problem is scare stories such as this. Trying to convince people of a massive rise in sea level if a sheet of ice melts. Most of it is floating and already displacing its own weight. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

Part of the problem is scare stories such as this. Trying to convince people of a massive rise in sea level if a sheet of ice melts. Most of it is floating and already displacing its own weight. 

Ice sheets can be on land as well as on the sea you know.  As they are to a large extent in Greenland.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ice sheets can be on land as well as on the sea you know.  As they are to a large extent in Greenland.

Yes, but they claim an ice sheet seven times the size of the UK (a small island in the North Atlantic), could cause sea levels worldwide to rise by seven metres. Unless the ice sheet is several hundred kilometers thick, it is simply not going to happen.      
Absolute clap trap! 

• Like 2

This was written in 1871 by Edward Whymper:

" for,before  the  time  that  the  glaciers  had  shrunk  to  so  great  an  extent,  the
steep  snow-slopes  above  mentioned,  in  all  probability,  did  not  exist ;
but,  most  likely,  the  glaciers  led  by  very  gentle  gradients  up  to  the
summit  ;  in  which  case  the  route  would  have  formed  the  natural
highway  between  the  two  places.  It  is  far  from  impossible,  if  the
glaciers  continue  to  diminish  at  their  present  rapid  rate,j*  that  the
Theodule  itself,  the  easiest  and  the  most  frequented  of  all  the
higher  Alpine  passes,  may,  in  the  course  of  a  few  years,  become
somewhat  difficult ;  and  if  this  should  be  the  case,  the  prosperity
of  Zermatt  will  probably  suffer."

48 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I know it’s already been pointed out that this is bollocks, but I need to point it out again. This is bollocks. The Greenland ice sheet is on land. It’s called Greenland. 

3 hours ago, ian rush said:

It would really help if people could appreciate that seeking now to impose a constraint on future land use which might prejudice a potential future strategic need is not a current proposal for a new airport at Jurby.

It is not a proposal for a new airport, but it is a proposal to restrict buildings in an area so that it is possible for it to be used as an airport.

The time to protest is as soon as is possible - i.e. now.

"You do not need to worry because something may never happen" is one way to look at it.

The other way is to realise that it is sensible to oppose this at the earliest opportunity.

I might even say that there is a strategic need to do so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Yes, but they claim an ice sheet seven times the size of the UK (a small island in the North Atlantic), could cause sea levels worldwide to rise by seven metres. Unless the ice sheet is several hundred kilometers thick, it is simply not going to happen.      
Absolute clap trap! 

Here's some calculations if you'd like to dispute any of it:

https://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glaciers-and-climate/estimating-glacier-contribution-to-sea-level-rise/

which confirm the 7m figure for Greenland alone

Of course most of the water is locked up in the Antarctic ice sheet and that would put sea level up 58m.  Of course global warming means both would eventually go if unchecked, though Greenland would be first.  Paradoxically it would also make the British Isles colder, because it would stop the Gulf Stream flowing.

(To simplify things I don't think these calculations allow for another factor from global warming which is that the water in the oceans will take up more space as it gets warmer and expands).

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

But is it a plan, or keeping an option for the future should circumstances require it?  Is that not sensible?  

An awful lot if hysteria about, which could be dispelled by a clear statement of the intent. 

apparently the space port is going to  be in andreas next to a 200 acre canabis farm.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I know it’s already been pointed out that this is bollocks, but I need to point it out again. This is bollocks. The Greenland ice sheet is on land. It’s called Greenland. 

So why is Iceland called Iceland and not Greenland , which is not very green. It’s icier than Iceland but then Iceland is not very green either. Maybe we need to find the right names for all countries that describe them best. Ireland for example would be better named as ‘Chip on both shoulders land’.  England could be ‘Dickhead Land’ and so forth. 

6 minutes ago, Anyone said:

So why is Iceland called Iceland and not Greenland , which is not very green. It’s icier than Iceland but then Iceland is not very green either. Maybe we need to find the right names for all countries that describe them best. Ireland for example would be better named as ‘Chip on both shoulders land’.  England could be ‘Dickhead Land’ and so forth. 

good thinking , scotland could be 'speech impediment land' 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Paradoxically it would also make the British Isles colder, because it would stop the Gulf Stream flowing.

The Gulf Stream flows, partially anyway, and the wind blows from the SE because the earth rotates. And if the water gets colder, more icebergs will be created which will reflect more sunlight and cause a global cooling.

I think I would rather put a few quid on an alien invasion.

So the aliens land in Jurby and say to the locals "Take me to your leader"... it's a frightening thought.