Jurby Airport?

doc.fixit

34 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Isle of Man ‘La La Land’. 

America  ‘Shitsville  Arizona ‘ - you need to be old to get that one.

is that why you told us 4 times ?

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

So the aliens land in Jurby and say to the locals "Take me to your leader"... it's a frightening thought.

If the aliens did land in Jurby and say, "Take us to your leaders" and somebody did; the aliens would be straight back into their ship with a, "Fuck this".

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Here's some calculations if you'd like to dispute any of it:

https://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glaciers-and-climate/estimating-glacier-contribution-to-sea-level-rise/

which confirm the 7m figure for Greenland alone

Of course most of the water is locked up in the Antarctic ice sheet and that would put sea level up 58m.  Of course global warming means both would eventually go if unchecked, though Greenland would be first.  Paradoxically it would also make the British Isles colder, because it would stop the Gulf Stream flowing.

(To simplify things I don't think these calculations allow for another factor from global warming which is that the water in the oceans will take up more space as it gets warmer and expands).

To raise the sea levels by 58 metres would require would require the equivalent volume of something like the North Atlantic Ocean. That is because to increase the depth on the outside of a sphere requires considerably more content than at lower levels inside. 
Your comment about water expanding as it warms is correct. However, water (fresh) is at its most dense at +4C. It expands as it warms, but it expands more as it cools. Hence the reason ice floats. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I know it’s already been pointed out that this is bollocks, but I need to point it out again. This is bollocks. The Greenland ice sheet is on land. It’s called Greenland. 

I guess Boat McBoat Face now has wheels then? 

17 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The Gulf Stream flows, partially anyway, and the wind blows from the SE because the earth rotates. And if the water gets colder, more icebergs will be created which will reflect more sunlight and cause a global cooling.

Gaia Hypothesis of self regulation.  It's possible and seems to make sense, but considering everything seems to be warming up every year, it doesn't seem to be regulating at the moment and it better get a move on. 

19 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I know it’s already been pointed out that this is bollocks, but I need to point it out again. This is bollocks. The Greenland ice sheet is on land. It’s called Greenland. 

20 hours ago, Cambon said:

Part of the problem is scare stories such as this. Trying to convince people of a massive rise in sea level if a sheet of ice melts. Most of it is floating and already displacing its own weight. 

Isn't that the point?  The melting of sea ice won't increase sea levels as you note, it has already displaced its volume.  It's the melting ice sheets on land that can increase the sea levels - Greenland and Antarctica. 

17 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Gaia Hypothesis of self regulation.  It's possible and seems to make sense, but considering everything seems to be warming up every year, it doesn't seem to be regulating at the moment and it better get a move on. 

Isn't that the point?  The melting of sea ice won't increase sea levels as you note, it has already displaced its volume.  It's the melting ice sheets on land that can increase the sea levels - Greenland and Antarctica. 

In fact melting sea ice should of led to a reduction of water levels as the volume would of decreased, tried this in a controlled area ie my wash basin and there seemed to be no discernable difference in depth as the ice changed from a solid to a liquid, that said land ice (glaciers) would be a whole new ball game and I have neither the time nor the space to do a more indepth(see what I did there) experiment involving the bath and a chest freezer.  🛀  🤯 

• Haha 3