Jurby Airport?

doc.fixit

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

In fact melting sea ice should of led to a reduction of water levels as the volume would of decreased, tried this in a controlled area ie my wash basin and there seemed to be no discernable difference in depth as the ice changed from a solid to a liquid, that said land ice (glaciers) would be a whole new ball game and I have neither the time nor the space to do a more indepth(see what I did there) experiment involving the bath and a chest freezer.  🛀  🤯 

tumblr_27a87f0c40cf49afcb2a99158b780573_717a15cc_1280.jpg

30 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Does the South and East Area Plan also show planning restrictions to allow for the runway to be extended?

Does it need to?  Robaldsway is already designated as an airfield. 

51 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Does it need to?  Robaldsway is already designated as an airfield.

One of the reasons was "new aircraft types and destinations". If there is insufficient climate change to require Ronaldsway to be abandoned, the current airport will have to be modified to fulfil these needs.

I suppose the big issue with this matter is the uncertainty that it brings to those with property and interests within the footfall of the potential project, even though it is just a long term consideration at the moment. It seems to me that this consequence was not even considered before the notion of repurposing Jurby was detailed in the airport master plan and subsequently the northern area plan.

All that really needed to be said in the airport master plan was that a study would be undertaken to assess the vulnerability of Ronaldsway to the affects of climate change, and that depending on it’s outcome, further consideration to safeguarding our connectivity may be required. I would be very surprised if any expert advice has been sought about the potential for Ronaldsway to become unusable in the future, let alone how it could itself be safeguarded before alternative locations are considered. I suspect that the proposal is simply based on one person’s ideas.

All airports have a masterplan, you can even go on an IATA course on how to create one. It seems the person who wrote ours was getting ahead of themselves and did not appreciate the concern the content would create. 

• Like 8

I'm afraid that if the volatility of the world creates another war that we are involved in then then the folks of Jurby won't have a say in the matter. At the moment though I agree that it has caused a lot of heartache and unrest.

50 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm afraid that if the volatility of the world creates another war that we are involved in then then the folks of Jurby won't have a say in the matter. At the moment though I agree that it has caused a lot of heartache and unrest.

Sorry Doc. There are already wars, but if there is another world war there will be no Lancasters taking off from Jurby. One EMP somewhere in Europe will knock out your mobile phone (amongst other things).

In the 1960s there was a nuclear test somewhere in the Pacific and the lights went out in Hawaii, 1,000 miles away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

All airports have a masterplan, you can even go on an IATA course on how to create one. It seems the person who wrote ours was getting ahead of themselves and did not appreciate the concern the content would create. 

Probably spot-on, but it's so much more fun than focusing on the stuff that matters, like making sure the terminal is always clean and tidy, our visititors get a positive first impressions, getting all the shit cleared out of the car park, talking to 'our airline partners' about route and frequency development, trying to get passenger numbers back to 2019 levels before the end of the century, and so on........

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

And they’d probably understand that if it ever came to be.

This is not about that though. Someone has suggested a way of fixing a problem that has not been confirmed to exist, and a lot of  people have been adversely affected as a result.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

And they’d probably understand that if it ever came to be.

This is not about that though. Someone has suggested a way of fixing a problem that has not been confirmed to exist, and a lot of  people have been adversely affected as a result.

And how much has this shite cost, most likely said get one of the under staff to do it. They have nowt else to do, to which was the reply "which one there's hundreds".

Edited by Dirty Buggane