Jurby Airport?

doc.fixit

42 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Maybe they've realised what a stupid idea it was developing an airport in an area of the Island more prone to fog. So instead of wasting anymore money on it they're going to develop Jurby into Heathrow MK II

Maybe it will herald the second coming of Ann Reynolds 🤦

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Maybe they've realised what a stupid idea it was developing an airport in an area of the Island more prone to fog. So instead of wasting anymore money on it they're going to develop Jurby into Heathrow MK II

Stupid idea. Just upgrade what’s needed at Ronaldsway including landing lights. 

• Like 1

It is all very curious.

Regarding aviation and prisons, I’m fairly sure that restrictions only apply to helicopters operating near high security establishments.

Jurby’s runway is too short to support commercial operations at present. Even if the fence was removed and the A14 was closed, as it was for the aurshows in the early naughtiest, the total length is only about 1450 metres. That’s about 2/3 of the length of 26/08 at Ronaldsway.

There is absolutely no infrastructure up there at present, and to turn it into a proper airport with facilities would cost an eye watering amount of money. As others have said, upgrading Ronaldsway properly to allow for real all weather operations would run to a fraction of that price.

So, considering all of that, and seeing the diagram they have made available, I’m left with a view that they are considering a whole new airport. The diagram shows a significant extension of the existing runway to the East, basically all the way to Jurby East, doubling it in size and making the runway length 2600 metres or so. That’s big enough for any type of aircraft to operate in and out of. The yellow and red shaded areas represent things called clear and graded areas (yellow) and clearways (red). These are  basically obstacle free areas to allow for commercial aviation and are prescribed in the CAA’s airfield operations manuals.

IMG_0278.jpeg.d9caeaaaaa34c669d058654e005d68b7.jpeg

I think I may have to pay the village hall in Jurby a visit  on August 12th to see what the craic is. 

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Shaun Counsell's sideshow at one time, wasn't it?

him and a few others , but it heard it was taken back into DoE hands which is why i thought DoE were running the show unless it went out to tender again.

12 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

It is all very curious.

Regarding aviation and prisons, I’m fairly sure that restrictions only apply to helicopters operating near high security establishments.

Jurby’s runway is too short to support commercial operations at present. Even if the fence was removed and the A14 was closed, as it was for the aurshows in the early naughtiest, the total length is only about 1450 metres. That’s about 2/3 of the length of 26/08 at Ronaldsway.

There is absolutely no infrastructure up there at present, and to turn it into a proper airport with facilities would cost an eye watering amount of money. As others have said, upgrading Ronaldsway properly to allow for real all weather operations would run to a fraction of that price.

So, considering all of that, and seeing the diagram they have made available, I’m left with a view that they are considering a whole new airport. The diagram shows a significant extension of the existing runway to the East, basically all the way to Jurby East, doubling it in size and making the runway length 2600 metres or so. That’s big enough for any type of aircraft to operate in and out of. The yellow and red shaded areas represent things called clear and graded areas (yellow) and clearways (red). These are  basically obstacle free areas to allow for commercial aviation and are prescribed in the CAA’s airfield operations manuals.

IMG_0278.jpeg.d9caeaaaaa34c669d058654e005d68b7.jpeg

I think I may have to pay the village hall in Jurby a visit  on August 12th to see what the craic is. 

i wouldn't call that an extension, more like a new runway , it would make the road from sandygate to the threshold ( aptly named ) unpassable , and no more motorsports  up there either, also how many commercial airports are there with only one length of tarmac runway ??  the airfield as is had a cross runway for a reason.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

how many commercial airports are there with only one length of tarmac runway ??  the airfield as is had a cross runway for a reason.

Quite a few - LPL,BHX,LTN,STN, NCL, GLA,LBA, JER, GCI, SOU spring immediately to mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It might make some people have second thoughts about buying or building a house in Jurby, knowing that at some time in the future tour operators are going to be running flights all day and night for the N million tourists.

Better to buy a house in Bride or Foxdale.

The plus side is that the DoI might have to run a bus service there.

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Stupid idea. Just upgrade what’s needed at Ronaldsway including landing lights. 

Obviously. We shouldn't be spending millions on a new airport. Which is exactly why that's what they'll do.

It is believed that the terminal at Ronaldsway will only last another 50 years or so in terms of its useful life. I believe this zoning will allow for a future government the option to entirely rebuilt a new airport at Jurby when the brick and mortar at Ronaldsway comes crumbling down. It may be more cost effective that way. 

thats if the Isle of Man lasts another 50 years… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WTF said:

also how many commercial airports are there with only one length of tarmac runway

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

LPL,BHX,LTN,STN, NCL, GLA,LBA, JER, GCI, SOU spring immediately to mind.

To mention a few more: PIK, ADN, EDI, EMX, EXT, NQY, LGW, LHR, SOU, CWL, BRS - let's round up numbers and make it tens of thousands world-wide.

It was the mention of 'runway extension' that immediately caught my attention and Cobbs advertised presence.  Why even make mention of runway extension at an airfield that hasn't seen an aircraft in decades?

Something is afoot - or in case of a runway extension, several thousand feet.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 1