Jurby Airport?

doc.fixit

On 7/28/2024 at 9:10 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Ronaldsway was chosen as the main airport for at least the following reasons:

Geographic and Climatic Suitability (Ronaldsway has much better weather).

Nearest to the bulk of the Population.

Historical Development (there was already airfield infrastructure there) and it would have been far more expensive to build a new terminal at Jurby (and you've seen how good the IOM govt are with new terminals!)

Jurby was still required at the time for military use.

15 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

It is all very curious.

Regarding aviation and prisons, I’m fairly sure that restrictions only apply to helicopters operating near high security establishments.

IMG_0278.jpeg.d9caeaaaaa34c669d058654e005d68b7.jpeg

I think I may have to pay the village hall in Jurby a visit  on August 12th to see what the craic is. 

I was more up to date on this back in the day,  but I remember pointing out to the Minister at the time that building the prison at Jurby basically ruled out its development as an active airfield. 

That was of course on top of it being built 20 miles from the main population centre, the courts, lawyers, police and the hospital and all that entailed.....

This is likely a 100 year future proofing. There's no need at present. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Last Ten said:

Alf lives a stones throw away so nothing will ever happen at all. You can thank me later 🫡

Alf Airport - Helipad and private lounge so he doesn't have to mix with the plebs when he travels to the UK -

or Douglas.

or Ramsey come to that.

or  even Ayre & Michael.  Door to door service with no one in his way.  Just how he'll like it.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This is likely a 100 year future proofing. There's no need at present.

I’t forms part of the airport master plan which suggests that Jurby should be considered as a potential replacement for Ronaldsway to safeguard against the risk of, quote:  ‘climate change, weather patterns, airline fleet changes  and future destination requirements’.

It is recommended that a full survey be done, and that the results of this should be incorporated into the Northern Area Plan.

The fact that Mr Cobb is attending the meeting would suggest that they have found merit in the notion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

That was of course on top of it being built 20 miles from the main population centre, the courts, lawyers, police and the hospital and all that entailed.....

Yes, they resurfaced the Clenagh Road so lawyers wouldn't take the sumps out of their sports cars while they were travelling to the prison for client business.

They promised the Jurby population an economic boom when legal offices etc opened and further service and retail industry around them.

Then they extolled the virtues of videoconferencing, saying that nobody would actually need to travel anyway.

But Jurby did get a new medical centre out of it. At the cost of its only pub.

• Like 1

I am not sure that just making the area marked in red/yellow is sufficient. In 50 years or more Jurby could become the place to live and, all around the reserved area will be huge Chinese-style blocks of flats.

Jurby will become the new Kai Tak for YouTube videoers - and not a favourite for pilots.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I am not sure that just making the area marked in red/yellow is sufficient. In 50 years or more Jurby could become the place to live and, all around the reserved area will be huge Chinese-style blocks of flats.

Jurby will become the new Kai Tak for YouTube videoers - and not a favourite for pilots.

Realistically it is not about being 'able' to do it, if it was that critical and for whatever reason the end of the line for Ronaldsway, then Government could legislate and appropriate the land at Jurby through compulsory means whenever neccessary.

What it is about is limiting development in this area so the compensation/impact involved is not as high, if required in 50 years.

1 hour ago, lcd said:

Why are the ends of the zones shaded in the map skewed at either end like a parallelogram?

Surely that can't be right....

Maybe whoever drew it had been to the Sidings at lunchtime?

Seriously though, good spot and I have no idea either.