Racists can’t buy petrol

Idleweiss

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Imagine arguing racists should be allowed to buy petrol.

It’s an alleged offense though. EVF can do what they like but surely it’s up to the police to investigate to ascertain whether a racist incident has occurred? I’d have thought that unless you pull up for a few gallons of unleaded in this then it’s a fairly arbitrary position for a company to be in by banning someone unknown who it’s alleged said something unpleasant? 

IMG_5370.jpeg

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

So it’s a fairly pointless announcement then? Some unnamed person best not come back if they look vaguely like someone whose image was captured on CCTV as they’re banned! Surely this is the sort of thing that should be on Tweetbest? Have you seen this person? Or do you know anything about this incident etc? How do you ban someone who looks like someone who you caught on CCTV who may have said something racist?

When they next come in the employee says you're that guy that is banned.

It's a fairly simple concept

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

It’s an alleged offense though. EVF can do what they like but surely it’s up to the police to investigate to ascertain whether a racist incident has occurred? I’d have thought that unless you pull up for a few gallons of unleaded in this then it’s a fairly arbitrary position for a company to be in by banning someone unknown who it’s alleged said something unpleasant? 

IMG_5370.jpeg

Why is it up to the police to decide? If you called me a racist name then I'd know it was racist and I don't need to go ask the police I'd this racist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Why is it up to the police to decide? If you called me a racist name then I'd know it was racist and I don't need to go ask the police I'd this racist. 

But if you went to your employer and said that a customer has just called you a racist name and they should be banned from the premises that’s basically your word against someone else’s. Surely if a hate crime has been committed (using racially offensive words) then it’s up to the police to establish that the alleged crime has actually happen. Not that someone dealt with an angry customer and just accused them of being racist to get them in trouble and cause a public stir? 

3 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

But if you went to your employer and said that a customer has just called you a racist name and they should be banned from the premises that’s basically your word against someone else’s. Surely if a hate crime has been committed (using racially offensive words) then it’s up to the police to establish that the alleged crime has actually happen. Not that someone dealt with an angry customer and just accused them of being racist to get them in trouble and cause a public stir? 

The only public stir is caused by you. As has been said, it is up to EVF to decide who it will serve and who it won't, and the reasons.  Having heard from their employee, they have made a judgement, quite an unusual one, so you would think they had reasonable cause.  We don't know what was said, to whom or who witnessed it.

I don't see the problem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Idleweiss said:

But they don’t know who the individual is who they are banning do they from that? How can you ban an unnamed racist who may or may not have committed an actual offense and who might look like someone on a CCTV image?

was it you?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

But the customer isn't in trouble. Unless they are low on fuel and far from a manx petroleum station.

But it says “The incident has now been reported to police, who are examining CCTV footage” so surely it’s a matter for the police to judge not for a business to try to publicly shame one of its customers who may or may not have actually committed an offense? Also how can you ban someone unknown who might remotely look like someone on a CCTV picture from anywhere? Surely it’s a police matter as to whether an offense has actually occurred?

Edited by Idleweiss

1 minute ago, Idleweiss said:

But it says “The incident has now been reported to police, who are examining CCTV footage” so surely it’s a matter for the police to judge not for a business to try to publicly shame one of its customers who may or may not have committed an offense? 

Give it a rest son, you're embarrassing yourself now. Just take the ban or go and apologise...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Just now, Idleweiss said:

But it says “The incident has now been reported to police, who are examining CCTV footage” so surely it’s a matter for the police to judge not for a business to try to publicly shame one of its customers who may or may not have committed an offense? 

They haven't been identified publicly.  They have made a decision on who they will serve, it is up to the police to decide whether there is a potential offence to investigate

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Idleweiss said:

You can't publicly shame someone who isn't named.

If you're so upset about an unnamed individual perhaps wrongly (but it won't be will it) being accused of racism, you can read the headline as "Person who verbally abused shop staff no longer actually welcome in shop, for some reason" if you like.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The only public stir is caused by you.

I’m not causing any stir at all. I think it’s a very odd thing for a business to post. I would have expected this sort of thing to be issued by the police on Tweebeat.