Ian Huntley -- Witch. (at Our Expense)

Rog

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the system will inevitably get it wrong ie you can never retain the moral high ground. At best that makes the death penalty legalised murder and at worst revenge plain and simple. Either way both are unsustainable to a civilised society. IMHO of course.

I agree.

And if justification is needed as to why it's best to keep the likes of Huntley locked up (rather than being executed), I would suggest that greater effort is made in order to try to discover why he did what he did, try and find out what makes people like him do the sort of horrendous things he did.

If the answers could be found it may help to eventually identify those likely to act in such a way and reduce the chances of this sort of thing happening.

you can't really say who is likely to do this and who isn't look at all the cases where seemingly ordinary people have just had moments of madness and done some stupid things, his was more premeditated than just a spur of the moment type thing going by his past.

.......to try to discover why he did what he did, try and find out what makes people like him do the sort of horrendous things he did.

I'm sure he did the things he did because he's a wicked, evil piece of scum. I don't see how you think its possible to identify people who are likely to do that sort of terrible crime, not until it's too late and they've committed the crime.

.......to try to discover why he did what he did, try and find out what makes people like him do the sort of horrendous things he did.

I'm sure he did the things he did because he's a wicked, evil piece of scum. I don't see how you think its possible to identify people who are likely to do that sort of terrible crime, not until it's too late and they've committed the crime.

It seems that is precisely what they intend to do. As I understand it Huntley will be moving to the Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorder Unit in the new purpose-built Westgate Wing at Durham's Frankland Jail. Of course, it may be just a scam to get out of Wakefield.

I don't see how you think its possible to identify people who are likely to do that sort of terrible crime, not until it's too late and they've committed the crime.

I don't know whether it's possible or not but by at least attempting to find out seems a better option than just keeping someone "banged up", sewing mailbags or whatever else it is they do in prison.

It would be of far greater benefit to society if it was shown to be possible to identify likely offenders, and if using the likes of Huntley helps to achieve that, then at least his otherwise worthless existance is somehow justifiable. IMHO

I don't know whether it's possible or not but by at least attempting to find out seems a better option than just keeping someone "banged up", sewing mailbags or whatever else it is they do in prison.

So if they found some sort of genetic malfunction, for example, in certain people which made them commit these horrendous crimes that would mean screening everybody to see if they are a potential risk so as to stop them committing the crime. Maybe he won't be sewing mailbags for long, hopefully another inmate (or 5) will do the world a favour and wipe the wicked sh*t off the face of the earth.

.....So if they found some sort of genetic malfunction, for example, in certain people which made them commit these horrendous crimes that would mean screening everybody to see if they are a potential risk so as to stop them committing the crime. ....

Surely that would be a good thing?

Surely that would be a good thing?

Can't see anything that I said which suggested I thought it was a bad thing, but I just think it's pretty unrealistic to have some sort of test that would mean screening everybody to see if they were a potential risk. It would mean a lot of manpower and money to have such a screening program, in an ideal world great but I can't see it happening to be honest.

what are they going to screen for? am sure alot of people have genetic defects but they don't go round doing that. You can't second guess what people are going to do all you can do is set an example of those who do it so to deter others from doing the same!

Maybe he won't be sewing mailbags for long, hopefully another inmate (or 5) will do the world a favour and wipe the wicked sh*t off the face of the earth.
I would think there's a good chance of that Minnie.

could make money without having to pay to watch on sky just have a phone in vote for best way for him to be executed. £1 a call would do it.

I'll go with the phone in vote at a pound a call but I would want to watch it at the end of the day.

I would vote for the Electric Chair.

I just think it's pretty unrealistic to have some sort of test that would mean screening everybody to see if they were a potential risk.  It would mean a lot of manpower and money to have such a screening program, in an ideal world great but I can't see it happening to be honest.

We would also be entering a Phillip K Dick world of convicting people of crimes they've yet to commit.

Archived