Southport Stabbings

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Anyway, I'm sure that those rioting believe that the UK has a muslim population of at least 25% and probably higher and they are responsible for all the ills that currently beset the country...

Either that, or they just enjoy engaging in senseless violence when the opportunity presents itself

• Like 3

1 hour ago, philwebs said:

Have you walked down Strand Street in the middle of the working day in the last year? Sorry to say my observation is they are over here now on full benefits with housing, being paid for by ION taxpayers. Nothing in the media, nothing said by the policians. Silence. Did you agree to this?

Do they all have their benefit cheques hanging out of their pockets?  Don't you have to have been here for a number of years before being eligible for either benefits or social housing? 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Either that, or they just enjoy engaging in senseless violence when the opportunity presents itself

They targetted a mosque. Basically racists with the IQ of an Amoeba. And that's the clever ones...

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

Yes, it would be. I'd happily replace it with left wingers though, if you'd like.

Quite.  Everyone has a choice to be a left wing or right wing nutter.  Blacks, trans, gay, women don't have a choice in what they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I was chatting to an old friend who is convinced that the "no-go" areas in the UK actually exist

You might be well-served by seeking out new Island resident and TT star Dean Harrison who has recently moved his young family to the Island from his native Bradford (with his own parents following shortly), citing safety grounds and experience concurring with your friend's opinion on this point. You'll find him very candid on the matter and very approachable too, incidentally.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

John Bird, who founded the Big Issue, warned about trendy lefties romanticising the working class saying: "The working class is violent and abusive, they beat their wives and I hate their culture."

He was wrong to over generalise but his words have stayed with me over the years.

The reaction to the murder of these little girls is not the finest hour for the white British Working Class. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You might be well-served by seeking out new Island resident and TT star Dean Harrison who has recently moved his young family to the Island from his native Bradford (with his own parents following shortly), citing safety grounds and experience concurring with your friend's opinion on this point. You'll find him very candid on the matter and very approachable too, incidentally.

We were in Bradford last November for a Robbie Plant gig. The whole place was dreadfully run down like a lot of Northern mill towns that have essentially been left behind by a London & SE centric government. But at no time did we ever feel threatened but then we don't live there! We did find it difficult to find somewhere decent to eat though.

Bottom line if you want to move somewhere nicer and can afford it then you do it. If you can't afford it then you stay put. So over time poverty becomes a leveller... There are seven tower blocks in Rochdale called, with devastating originality, "The Seven Sisters". The council want to knock them down but folks won't leave them because they have a sense of community there. Just like places like "Bratford love..."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The UK definitely looks unsafe from where I'm sitting. Seems to be big groups of violent yobs going round thumping people, flipping cars over and setting fire to police stations. 

I'm not convinced they look Muslim, but I haven't asked them.

• Like 4

There are two stages to this issue.  First, the immediate one of responding and preventing the violence and riots.  That is something to be done right now.  

The second is going to be longer term and that is identifying the more fundamental cause, whether that is by policy and/or social reform.

At the moment the first is the urgent priority, but the seconds does need to follow pretty quickly.  However, what that cannot and should not do is justify this violence, nor can it justify or give credence to what is in a number of people innate and irrational hatred. 

Jimmy Carr was featured in one of Stephen Bartlett's CEO podcasts from acouole of yers ago.  Remarkably, he (JC) had some wise words.  You cannot change the world, but you can change yourself.  There has been a shift in social exchange from face to face to online, with the emergence of a tribalism which diminishes the individual and personal interaction.  Interesting points, probably not the entire answer, but thoughtful nevertheless. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, La Colombe said:

..that they fomented.

Far too simplistic. It goes much, much deeper than that. Most people have minds of their own and reach their own conclusions. Extremists play on valid concerns and exaggerate them. They don't create them.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Far too simplistic. It goes much, much deeper than that. Most people have minds of their own and reach their own conclusions. Extremists play on valid concerns and exaggerate them. They don't create them.

But are the concerns valid in the first place or have they been seeded by simple bigotry?  Yes, there are many people feeling left behind and disadvantaged (whether real or not), but has the real cause been identified, or is it that an external 'bogeyman' has been targeted who everyone can latch onto?

What exactly are the disadvantages being suffered and why are they suffering them? 

Funnily enough, you don't often see the really disadvantaged -  homeless, disabled, stateless - riotting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Well, yeah.  Those aren’t choices. (You could argue that trans is I guess, and muslim, but not really for most).

You’ve got to be pretty low iq to think “right wing” and “women” are equivalent groups.

Whether an individuals characteristic is a choice or not is irrelevant. I don't understand why after reading my entire post, that's your angle.

Would you say it's OK to make discriminatory comments about millions of people collectively, based on their individual attributes? I don't anybody does these days. 

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Anyway, I'm sure that those rioting believe that the UK has a muslim population of at least 25% and probably higher and they are responsible for all the ills that currently beset the country...

So all the Islamic terrorism we've experienced has only come from 6% of the population? Imagine what it would be like at 25%.

Again, as per my points above on elitism; You are suggesting the entirety of the right leaning population are too retarded to read a census...

6 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Huw Edwards is a nonce. Are all BBC newsreaders nonces? Again. One rice does not make the pudding.

There was a neonazi, many people of different ethnicities, beliefs, sexual orientations etc etc. The right are far more tolerant than you'd imagine. They still believe in free speech and respect more than the Liberal elitists who have hidden away on highly censored social media platforms for the last decade. 

As an extension of this point. That neonazi could probably vote or even run for office himself. He is NOT a second class citizen with less rights than you or I. He may have beliefs that are seen as extreme, but in a healthy society with full free speech, they would be debated openly. With the audience and debaters magnanimously agreeing on the best reasoning, and therefore the most optimal path to progress our society. Just like how we do on MF.