Southport Stabbings

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

The UK is not an Islamic State by any stretch of the imagination and only a tiny percentage of people left the UK to support ISIS.  Many of those that did were extremists or people who had become radicalised.

The UK is not an Islamic State and that's just the point. Britons do not wish it to be but see the "swamping of their native culture" as "just the beginning", hence the source of the unrest.

Over 900 left Britain to join ISIS alone, (plus the many other thousands from Europe), so there is/was no shortage of sympathy. Then they expected to be able to return, in some cases having engaged in atrocities and railed against the West.

Some are still out there engaging in illegal activities and pledging themselves to the movement, it would appear.

Screenshot_20240803-174112_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240803-174253_Samsung Internet.jpg

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The UK is not an Islamic State and that's just the point. Britons do not wish it to be but see the "swamping of their native culture" as "just the beginning", hence the source of the unrest.

Over 900 left Britain to join ISIS alone, (plus the many other thousands from Europe), so there is/was no shortage of sympathy. Then they expected to be able to return, in some cases having engaged in atrocities and railed against the West.

Some are still out there engaging in illegal activities and pledging themselves to the movement, it would appear.

Screenshot_20240803-174112_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240803-174253_Samsung Internet.jpg

Some dates on those quotes would be helpful.  If I recall, Shamima Begum wanted to return having found she had made the worst decision of her life.  I, for one, am glad she was not allowed back. 

No one has denied there aren't extremists, on both sides.  

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Some dates on those quotes would be helpful.  If I recall, Shamima Begum wanted to return having found she had made the worst decision of her life.  I, for one, am glad she was not allowed back. 

No one has denied there aren't extremists, on both sides.  

The Begum case is a difficult one. It's pretty clear from interviews that she hasn't the luxury of two braincells to rub together, and she was also groomed from a young age. Not sure I can agree with us effectively removing a perons's citizenship.

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The Begum case is a difficult one. It's pretty clear from interviews that she hasn't the luxury of two braincells to rub together, and she was also groomed from a young age. Not sure I can agree with us effectively removing a perons's citizenship.

I don't get the grooming argument at the age of 12 I knew that going abroad and fighting for a terrorist organisation was a bit of a no no

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't see why another struggling country should have to deal with a problem, in her, that was made in britain

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I don't get the grooming argument at the age of 12 I knew that going abroad and fighting for a terrorist organisation was a bit of a no no

At the age of 12 you weren't groomed by an adult man over a period of months, I presume. Also as noted, Begum is clearly not intellectually gifted - I wasn't going to make the same assumption about you but you are trying to place yourself as her equal at 12 in the above post...

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

At the age of 12 you weren't groomed by an adult man over a period of months, I presume. Also as noted, Begum is clearly not intellectually gifted - I wasn't going to make the same assumption about you but you are trying to place yourself as her equal at 12 in the above post...

You're right I wasn't groomed but again I knew the difference between right and wrong. 

Grooming is a really poor excuse.

Maybe if she said I take responsibility for my actions I was wrong I might have a bit of sympathy for her.

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You're right I wasn't groomed but again I knew the difference between right and wrong. 

Grooming is a really poor excuse.

Maybe if she said I take responsibility for my actions I was wrong I might have a bit of sympathy for her.

It's not like the guy opened with "let's do terrorism together" is it. He spent months convincing her that he cared about her and wanted to give her a life with him, and she - being a child and not particularly bright - believed it. She should clearly face justice, but removing someone's citizenship is too far.