Southport Stabbings

Earlier,  a man 'of arab appearance' was arrested while approaching the vigil, with a balaclava and knife. 

Which didn't help.

Footage also emerging of a machete fight in Southend, seemingly not the work of the 'far right'.

It's all not good.

6 hours ago, woolley said:

There is nothing remotely funny in any of this.

You don't think a coked up racist taking bricks to the head and balls from his own side is even slightly amusing?

7 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The Southend incident is completely unconnected.

I did point out it was a different group from our ununited kingdom.

Although you could argue that there is a connection - incidents like Southend add fuel to the fire for the people who wanted to start something in Southport.

It is impossible to debate the causes of the continuing tragedies in the UK as politicians and political commentators and social media have all proven themselves incapable of mature debate.

Army personnel targeted, daily knife incidents in major cities, machete gangs pictured, and now this tragedy, how in hell did young children become the targets of someones hatred !

Something has to change, the causes need to be identified and the UK returned to an earlier less conflicted age !

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, asitis said:

It is impossible to debate the causes of the continuing tragedies in the UK as politicians and political commentators and social media have all proven themselves incapable of mature debate.

Army personnel targeted, daily knife incidents in major cities, machete gangs pictured, and now this tragedy, how in hell did young children become the targets of someones hatred !

Something has to change, the causes need to be identified and the UK returned to an earlier less conflicted age !

Was there ever an earlier less conflicted age, or is that a view through rose tints?

Part of the problem has got to be social media, instant disinformation and  fake news and much of it deliberately spread by the far right or from Russia to foment social unrest.

The other big problem is low levels of trust in the police, courts and an inability to wait and see. 

Earlier there was an expressed wish that the authorities wouldn’t play the mental health card. If the attacker has serious mental health diagnosis, then that’s it. I wish that the race and religion card wasn’t played. I see Farage has jumped on the band wagon with insidious comment about the attacker being on an M15 watch list. 

There’s nothing to suggest he was. It’s said to destabilise, to stir up trouble and hate, for political advantage. The fact he’s not a skin head, with tattoos, and a St George’s flag, but wears a suit or Barbour jacket doesn’t make his contribution any the less serious.

We, and politicians, can’t debate without the facts.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Was there ever an earlier less conflicted age, or is that a view through rose tints?

Part of the problem has got to be social media, instant disinformation and  fake news and much of it deliberately spread by the far right or from Russia to foment social unrest.

The other big problem is low levels of trust in the police, courts and an inability to wait and see. 

Earlier there was an expressed wish that the authorities wouldn’t play the mental health card. If the attacker has serious mental health diagnosis, then that’s it. I wish that the race and religion card wasn’t played. I see Farage has jumped on the band wagon with insidious comment about the attacker being on an M15 watch list. 

There’s nothing to suggest he was. It’s said to destabilise, to stir up trouble and hate, for political advantage. The fact he’s not a skin head, with tattoos, and a St George’s flag, but wears a suit or Barbour jacket doesn’t make his contribution any the less serious.

I agree, but I think Politicians are naive, for instance Starmer this morning is assuring us that the rioters will be pursued and prosecuted to the full extent of the law ! I agree that should happen. However in the current climate, with those people who are part of the what we view as lawless minority, that will only inflame the situation as they already perhaps perceive Policing as politically and racially polarised ! It would have been better in my opinion to have made sure that happened, without comment, merely condemning their actions. Politicians have to take much of the blame for the current situation.

22 minutes ago, asitis said:

I agree, but I think Politicians are naive, for instance Starmer this morning is assuring us that the rioters will be pursued and prosecuted to the full extent of the law ! I agree that should happen. However in the current climate, with those people who are part of the what we view as lawless minority, that will only inflame the situation as they already perhaps perceive Policing as politically and racially polarised ! It would have been better in my opinion to have made sure that happened, without comment, merely condemning their actions. Politicians have to take much of the blame for the current situation.

But saying nothing just starts the conspiracy nut jobs.

Politicians should comment, but it has to be measured and statesman like. Condemn violence, ask for calm, warn against disinformation, plea to let the police do their job, gather evidence, prosecution to assess the evidence, charge if appropriate and then let the courts get on with their job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Total bollocks that John. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Total bollocks that John. 

Which part?

It is true that fake/malicious social media threw petrol on an already emotional charged situation.

It is true that there is a mistrust of the police which was only amplified by recent events.

It is true that mental health can be a contributing factor in a lot of crimes.

It is true that Farage was spreading misinformation (or the more common dog whistle "I was only asking the question").

So which part was "bollocks"?