Southport Stabbings

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Have any of our politicians made any kind of statement?  Southport is, as proximity to the UK goes, a close neighbour.  They are normally pretty quick to make a statement, seeing as they are players on the world stage. 

Yes, it's way more local than international which is why I started the thread in Local News. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Very strange to see you quoting Frankie Boyle, given his history of joking about and making fun of people with disabilities, and more latterly about the plan to abduct rape and kill Holly Willoughby,

Not someone who I would have thought you would have paid much attention to, given the nature of your posts.

Thank god the twitter quote police are back.

15 minutes ago, HeteroErectus said:

I don't believe anyone has suggested that violence is OK at some riots and not at others? But there's a significant difference between a police officer falling from a horse because it bolted, and gangs of racists roaming the streets pulling non-whites from their cars to chants of "kill them" aye?

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Like who?

There are a fair few people who call themselves working class largely due to having had actual working class parents.   If you actually look at there income and lifestyle they squarely sit in middle class.

Ona personal note I was recently shocked to find that I am in the top 10% of earners in the UK.

I have a good life but it doesn't feel top 10%.  And no I am not on a six digit income.

My goodness this is serious.

Arson, vandalism, assault on police officers, racist attacks.

Despicable.

Those who do these things, bring them to justice, to the inside of a court, and then to a prison.

Is that the only way to make the understand the wrong they are doing and the damage they are sowing in to their own communities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

My goodness this is serious.

Arson, vandalism, assault on police officers, racist attacks.

Despicable.

Those who do these things, bring them to justice, to the inside of a court, and then to a prison.

Is that the only way to make the understand the wrong they are doing and the damage they are sowing in to their own communities.

I think the sort of person who believes burning down a library is valid in the first place is probably quite hard of understanding.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

There are a fair few people who call themselves working class largely due to having had actual working class parents.   If you actually look at there income and lifestyle they squarely sit in middle class.

Ona personal note I was recently shocked to find that I am in the top 10% of earners in the UK.

I have a good life but it doesn't feel top 10%.  And no I am not on a six digit income.

Yup, an ex girlfriend of mine of some years ago ( Julie Dansom from Ashfield, the parish of Lee Anderson if PK wants to verify her existence) claimed working class credentials because many generations ago her male relatives worked down the pit.

Working down the pit was a truly horrific way to earn a living and if anyone had a claim to be of working class, yes indeed it was the miners.

However since that time her relatives gained what many would call professional ( middle class) status.

Nothing wrong with that, well done to them. But she viewed herself as a working class girl ( despite her being a teacher) because of the occupation her forefathers had many years before.

There you go

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yup, an ex girlfriend of mine of some years ago ( Julie Dansom from Ashfield, the parish of Lee Anderson if PK wants to verify her existence) claimed working class credentials because many generations ago her male relatives worked down the pit.

Working down the pit was a truly horrific way to earn a living and if anyone had a claim to be of working class, yes indeed it was the miners.

However since that time her relatives gained what many would call professional ( middle class) status.

Nothing wrong with that, well done to them. But she viewed herself as a working class girl ( despite her being a teacher) because of the occupation her forefathers had many years before.

There you go

Very useful and profound contribution to the debate. 

• Haha 2