Southport Stabbings

Coverage from riots in Plymouth tonight with the Police running out of resources by their own admission.

This is becoming a national problem.

I’m sorry I don’t fit the Remainers imagined stereotype  of anyone who wanted the UK to leave the EU, as some knuckle dragging Neanderthal racist. 

Is that stereotype also  true of the what 14 million ( ?) or so that  exercised  their vote to leave.

Sure there were people of dubious views voting on both sides of the debate but how do you disenfranchise them ?  You can’t, nor should you, under universal suffrage.

Just accept and respect the result.

Courts are getting busy. I'm not really one for courts, and police, and prison; and I'm big on the right to protest, but fuck them. This isn't protesting, it's just bullshit. Indefensible nonsense. 

• Like 3

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m sorry I don’t fit the Remainers imagined stereotype  of anyone who wanted the UK to leave the EU, as some knuckle dragging Neanderthal racist. 

Is that stereotype also  true of the what 14 million ( ?) or so that  exercised  their vote to leave.

Sure there were people of dubious views voting on both sides of the debate but how do you disenfranchise them ?  You can’t, nor should you, under universal suffrage.

Nobody has mentioned the Brexit result.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you introduced the Farage immigrant poster into this thread which was/integral to the Brexit discussion.

Because it was evidence of Farage blaming brown people, like you asked for...

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Because it was evidence of Farage blaming brown people, like you asked for...

No I didn’t ask for anything of the sort. 

He  ( or his team) produced a distasteful poster. (I am sure we both agree it was distasteful.) 

I am no supporter of Farage ( save for his part in extricating the UK from the EU). 

I am more than happy to leave Brexit out of all of this and join you in condemning the idiot yobs causing havoc, and worse, in the towns and cities of the UK.

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Coverage from riots in Plymouth tonight with the Police running out of resources by their own admission.

This is becoming a national problem.

Hang on Keir Starmer is developing all new police task forces to deal with rioting.

23 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No I didn’t ask for anything of the sort. 

He  ( or his team) produced a distasteful poster. (I am sure we both agree it was distasteful.) 

I am no supporter of Farage ( save for his part in extricating the UK from the EU). 

I am more than happy to leave Brexit out of all of this and join you in condemning the idiot yobs causing havoc, and worse, in the towns and cities of the UK.

VW4Burx.png

You claimed he hasn't said that Brown people are the cause. The poster clearly portrays that.

• Like 2

Was talking to friends in England tonight. Very tense situation in a lot of places.

About a decade ago the likes of Farage were able to divide Britain by turning average nice-but-dim  folk into raging red-faced haters of all things EU. Somehow, and I know it seems ridiculous now, they were persuaded that the problems of rising food and energy costs, low educational achievement, a declining NHS, uncompetitive manufacturing and lack of investment in infrastructure was all the fault of the EU.

Farage and co had clearly hit on a winning formula — manufacturing and monetising outrage, fear and hate — but now the object of the outrage, fear and hate had gone, how could they stay in business? They've chipped away various soft targets; the government with the 'this brexit isn't brexity enough' nonsense, teachers with the 'trannies are coming for your kids' stuff', scientists and civil servants with climate science denial and doctors and nurses with the vaccine conspiracies — but what got them the most hits was asylum seekers. They've gone full in on asylum seekers, and they've hit a nerve (without, of course, ever mentioning how brexit made things so much worse). 

I'm not sure Farage himself is a nazi, although he does seem to keep some dubious company — but the asylum seeker issue is a click magnate for him, and it attracts serious anti-muslim bigots.

Muslims are the most vulnerable of all communities in the UK. They have now been assigned the place in the English bigoted conscience where Jews and Irish Catholics used to sit. But make no mistake, there is a long list of other minorities they would marginalise and demonise ... and if the current government doesn't deal with this hatred now then at some point you or someone you love could be next.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

@The Voice of Reason

Hmmmm I think you do...

Prove me wrong.

Loved the "Just accept and respect the result" total nonsense. We ALL have to accept the result anyway. That's a given. But with all the lies, obfuscation, playing to the baser instincts of the gullible etc etc there is no way that the referendum result deserves any respect whatsoever. Brexiteers need to accept that. Especially as for those who voted Leave 12% did so on the precious "sovereignty" none-issue, 18% on the economy and a whopping 52% on "immigration" with it's unspoken darker side. The results of which we are seeing being played out right now in towns and cities all over the UK...

Just now, quilp said:

FFS. Just fuck off with the brexit crap, eh? 

Problem is that the big proponents of Brexit, such as Nigel Farage, are the ones who have stoked the fires leading to the events after the terrible events in Southport. 

Instead  of waiting for the police to investigate,  Farage and others speculate on this being an Islamic extremist and generating anger and fear.