Southport Stabbings

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

So this excuses Pakistani grooming gangs preying on white teenage girls? No idea what you are trying to prove other than we have lots of white nutcases too, but as far as I'm aware there was no conspiracy of silence by liberal types to hush it all up for decades for fear of being branded racist.

Lucy Letby? Not so sure. I think she'll be exonerated.

The point I believe he is trying to make is that the only reason we are seeing riots now is because the alleged murderer isn't white and despite being British is the son of immigrants. 

That plus all the online bullshit which I warned about on the first page.

Do you think we would be seeing these events unfold now if the killer was a caucasian British man?  Be honest...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I can't recall you once admitting to either of those positions in the past.  Happy for you to prove me wrong but the acknowledgement of the role of Britain's colonial past in creating a pull factor certainly seems new.

I don't see anything controversial or even debatable in what @FatRoundMiddle said about either the colonial history or the Tories. Now how the hand has been played over the past 60 years is quite a different matter, but the basic premise is unarguable.

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I’d prefer that they reduced it by 100%

Wouldn't we all, but to declare that the riots are because the Govt is doing "nothing" when they've actually done quite a lot...

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

The point I believe he is trying to make is that the only reason we are seeing riots now is because the alleged murderer isn't white and despite being British is the son of immigrants. 

That plus all the online bullshit which I warned about on the first page.

Do you think we would be seeing these events unfold now if the killer was a caucasian British man?  Be honest...

I'm always honest. Of course not, and as I said the other day, the goings on are unsupportable. Southport was merely a catalyst though, and you have to understand the backdrop. I posted up a link at the weekend to a list of atrocities aimed at innocents almost exclusively by Islamist extremist individuals who appear to have been of no use to UK society but have visited death and destruction on the population. I really don't believe that such mayhem as we've seen in the past week can be fomented just by a few right wing hotheads. There is very deep resentment against successive governments for failing to get a grip on the migration situation and the nature of those allowed in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Please don’t tell me that you believe that nonsense 

What do you believe is nonsense? 

Let's go through this logically.

You open safe routes that allow people to apply for asylum without the need to reach the UK first.  

You target the criminal gangs who are engaged in people trafficking.  You do this via international cooperation.  The whole of Europe has challenges with this so it wouldn’t take much to come to an arrangement. 

Those two things alone would reduce the crossings by boat.

You also properly resource the home office to process asylum applications quickly and efficiently.  If done overseas you don't even need to worry about an agreement to return them.

Doing that prevents any backlogs that end up with people being housed in "hotels" whilst awaiting decisions.  It would also remove the temptation to try and skip the queue by arriving in the UK on a small boat.

The other thing I would suggest is required is a concerted effort by the West to provide overseas aid to improve the living conditions for those in poorer and war torn countries.  That would take planning to ensure it gets to where it's needed and not to some corrupt officials.

The situation is only going to get worse unless we all do something.   Climate change is going to lead to some places becoming uninhabitable whether due to rising sea levels, drought or storms.  That will drive even more migrants to find somewhere they can be safe.