Southport Stabbings

Nigel Farage, "We have to address issues like uncontrolled mass immigration, division of our communities"

Tom Swarbrick, "I don't know what any of that has got to do with Southport"

NF, "I'm looking for a long term solution"

TS, "I don't know what any of that has got to do with Southport"

NF, "Don't you?"

TS, "No"

NF, "You know what?"

TS, "The man charged was born in Cardiff"

NF, "Do you know what, you want to get out more"

TS, "Thank you"

NF, "You want to get out more"

NF, "Why didn't they tell people that? Maybe the riots would not have been that bad"

TS, "You jumped to conclusions"

NF, "They did not tell people"

TS, "You came to conclusions based on looking at Andrew Tate's twitter feed of what happened"

NF, "They did not tell people before those riots sparked, who he was and where they came from. If they had done that this would have been far less serious"

TS, "You could have said in those circumstances: we dont know yet who this person is so lets not jump to conclusions, let's wait and see and condemn how awful the attack was"

NF, "Or I could have said tell us the truth and maybe this will calm down, which is what I did"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Nigel Farage, "We have to address issues like uncontrolled mass immigration, division of our communities"

Tom Swarbrick, "I don't know what any of that has got to do with Southport"

NF, "I'm looking for a long term solution"

TS, "I don't know what any of that has got to do with Southport"

NF, "Don't you?"

TS, "No"

NF, "You know what?"

NF, "Do you know what, you want to get out more"

TS, "Thank you"

NF, "You want to get out more"

NF, "Why didn't they tell people that? Maybe the riots would not have been that bad"

TS, "You jumped to conclusions"

NF, "They did not tell people"

TS, "You came to conclusions based on looking at Andrew Tate's twitter feed of what happened"

NF, "They did not tell people before those riots sparked, who he was and where they came from. If they had done that this would have been far less serious"

TS, "You could have said in those circumstances: we dont know yet who this person is so lets not jump to conclusions, let's wait and see and condemn how awful the attack was"

NF, "Or I could have said tell us the truth and maybe this will calm down, which is what I did"

Or, people could just decide not to break the law. 

• Like 2

Nigel Farage, the living embodiment of dog whistle politics.

A standing member of Parliament, is making public statements (in their position I remind you as a member of Parliament) from the Twitter feed of a known sex offender and human trafficker because the police didn't instantly announce the identity of the attacker.

And yet people are still parroting the "legitimate concern" bullshit.  If you had legitimate concerns, you would look at the evidence and see that it is decades of Tory mis-rule that has lead to this, not some dude who came off a boat 2 weeks ago and living in the hollowed shell of a Travelodge.

1 hour ago, RecklessAbandon said:

If you had legitimate concerns, you would look at the evidence and see that it is decades of Tory mis-rule that has lead to this, not some dude who came off a boat 2 weeks ago and living in the hollowed shell of a Travelodge.

Having said that: if you had legitimate concerns, you’d note that the ”dude” was born in Cardiff.

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

Having said that: if you had legitimate concerns, you’d note that the ”dude” was born in Cardiff.

It was a general immigrant dude and the overall "legitimate concerns" reference, not a direct reference to the Southport stabbing incident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three heinous murders were committed in Southport by a British-born person. This crime ignited a tsunami of violent crimes perpetrated by many hundreds of other British-born people. When Farage previously fumed that young British Muslims didn’t share ‘British values’, he did not explain what he meant, but many of his followers believe that British Muslims are not ‘really’ British, that they are different, they are ‘foreign’. The appalling illegal rioting that continues daily by young British non-Muslims reflects the desire to glorify British white identity. The right to peacefully protest for or against any cause is a core element of our democracy. However, these violent thugs, who wrap themselves in the Union Jack, are abusing their democratic right to protest and they must be brought to justice. That being said, there are bigger issues emerging from the current chaos.

One of the insidious problems that we are all grappling with is the threat that social media poses to a modern democratic society - this problem is especially acute when social media platforms are owned by a few extremely rich extremely powerful individuals (with their own extreme political agendas). Social media, albeit a commercial success story, is not just an innocent repository of baking recipes and home-made videos of amusing but harmless pranks. When all those years ago politicians gave a free reign to the tech giants to not be responsible for the content published on their sites, they did not have a foresight to understand that this decision could undermine democracy.  When an American billionaire posts unsubstantiated claims about the events in the UK being a civil war, he is, at a minimum, fermenting social fragmentation. The UK Government should be able to use legal avenues to take him to task. If the British press is unwilling to publish articles written by the members of EDL, then why should these Nazi-echoing low lifes be allowed to spread their disinformation and fabrications, without any repercussions? Surely, there must be clear legal boundaries between the democratic right to free speech and deliberately lying.

Another issue is the roles played by our politicians. In times like this, it is the civic duty of all democratically elected politicians to calm the situation down and to try to bring the community back together. Instead, the UK’s most infamous crusader for ‘raging against the elites’ (of which he is one) and anti-EU anti-immigration campaigner, Nigel Farage, is resorting to conspiratory narratives such as; ‘Are they (i.e. the Police, the Government, the Local Authorities) telling us the truth?’ IMHO, the 4 million who voted for Reform UK should be asking themselves some very probing questions e.g.  ‘Do Reform UK represent social values that I ascribe to and am comfortable to live with?’ If the answers to these questions is no, then why are they still supporting Farage?      

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, code99 said:

However, these violent thugs, who wrap themselves in the Union Jack 

Mainly the Cross of St George.  Interesting that Scotland seems unaffected by these riots but Northern Ireland is, probably revealing the deep divisions that still exist there. 

Edited by Gladys
Fat fingers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Nigel Farage, the living embodiment of dog whistle politics.

I suspect he might be realising that he overstepped the mark a little bit this time. Seems to be trying to row back somewhat. It would be nice to see him at least questioned by the police. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I suspect he might be realising that he overstepped the mark a little bit this time. Seems to be trying to row back somewhat. It would be nice to see him at least questioned by the police. 

I would agree with you, however, he is all over the front page of the Daily Express.

Not exactly rowing back, more doubling down.

Screenshot 2024-08-07 130823.png

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Seems a bit over the top really, but I suppose after the recent Just Stop Oil prison sentences meted out it was inevitable. It's simply fucking tragic.  

Fucking tragic they decided to use the excuse of the murder of three little girls to go on a violent spree, punching policemen in the face and setting fire to a police van. 

• Like 2