Southport Stabbings

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It was a political euphemism for standing for election. If you took it literally then you're an idiot. You're in good company on this thread too.

'There will be widespread public anger in this country on a scale and in a way we have never seen before'  definitely sounds like standing for election. 

• Like 2

Farage to me will always be the guy who instigated the turning of backs to the Youth Orchestra in the European Parliament whilst clutching those silly little Union Flags. Ode to wtaf? For that alone, an absolute moronic dickhead of the highest order. Along with that Widdecombe creature. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

Farage to me will always be the guy who instigated the turning of backs to the Youth Orchestra in the European Parliament whilst clutching those silly little Union Flags. Ode to wtaf? For that alone, an absolute moronic dickhead of the highest order. Along with that Widdecombe creature. 

Farage to me ( and millions of others), despite all his flaws and faults, will always be the guy who delivered what the people wanted ( as evidenced by the Brexit vote), the departure of the UK from the EU.

I don’t believe that would have happened without him. So despite all his gaffes, sometimes stupid remarks etc, that is quite some legacy

It will be remembered much longer than holding silly little Union Flags ( why silly?). That won’t last long in most peoples minds. In fact I’d already forgotten about it.

43 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It will be remembered much longer than holding silly little Union Flags ( why silly?). That won’t last long in most peoples minds.

Oh yeah, Brexit and the Farage Riots are what he's going down in history for, for sure. Neither of which will be what he wants to be remembered for. 

46 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’d already forgotten about it.

Of course you had. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Farage to me ( and millions of others), despite all his flaws and faults, will always be the guy who delivered what the people wanted ( as evidenced by the Brexit vote), the departure of the UK from the EU.

I don’t believe that would have happened without him. So despite all his gaffes, sometimes stupid remarks etc, that is quite some legacy

It will be remembered much longer than holding silly little Union Flags ( why silly?). That won’t last long in most peoples minds. In fact I’d already forgotten about it.

Brexit seems to be such a good idea now, doesn't it? 

Last year two teenagers murdered a transgender girl. As they were underage at the time, it took a while before the details of this horrific murder were made available to general public. I am certain therefore that, sooner or later, the motivation behind the horrific murders in Southport will also be made public.

Ian Hislop has made TV programmes about the history of immigration in Britain, e.g., whether it was rioting against French and Dutch Protestants, or violence against starving Irish Catholics, or the National Front bashing the children of the Windrush generation, there have always been tensions between those who welcome new-comers and those with a ‘we don’t want their kind here’ mentality. There have also always been radical groups within society who want to cause distractions and/or to do harm to ‘others’ i.e. people who are different, people who do not share their ideologies.

The era of the IRA’s bombings, the Baader Meinhof gang, the Red Brigades, has all but faded into historical distant memory. Back then the West was afraid of extremist leftists, now it is afraid of militant Jihadists. And more recently many of us are becoming increasingly afraid of militant right-wing extremists. In other countries, ethnic and religious minorities suffer persecution at the hands of majority groups: militant Buddhists, militant Hindus, militant Orthodox, etc. Mark my word, if Trump wins the presidential election, we could see a rise of militant Evangelical Christians, e.g., in America these religious extremists are already smashing windows in abortion clinics and physically assaulting their staff.

The truth of the matter is that intolerance of difference ultimately leads to violence and destruction. Of course, the abhorrent Islamic State with their vile disdain for human life poses an ongoing threat to all of us, but ransacking British mosques will not encourage them to go away, nor will the forced mass deportation of ‘immigrants’ (Trump playbook). As an atheist, I believe that the world would be safer and saner place without any religions, but as a democrat I believe people have a democratic right to their religious freedoms, provided they practice their beliefs peacefully. When the communities came together in the UK, they sent a powerful message of solidarity against bigotry and hatred - politicians now need to play their part by passing new and stronger laws against radicalisation, misinformation and to specifically regulate social media companies to ensure that their Directors are legally responsible for the content published on their websites. These types of action may not be enough to solve the problem, but they would be a good start, IMHO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think so Gladys.

The desire for the UK to be in control of its own destiny is unlikely to change anytime soon.

It was a good idea in 2016 and it’s still a good idea now. 

If you're an old insular Brit who has no intention of working in Europe and doesn't own a company that previously exported to Europe...then yes.

26 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you're an old insular Brit who has no intention of working in Europe and doesn't own a company that previously exported to Europe...then yes.

From the Britannia Dictionary;

Insular:
“separated from other people or cultures : not knowing or interested in new or different ideas” 

That is not  the same as wanting to  retain sovereignty over your own affairs.

You can ( and should) explore and enjoy other cultures and be receptive to other ideas without having to subjugate your own laws to that of a supranational organisation.

Eligibility for working and living between EU and non EU members can be negotiated, rather than just being dictated, as can terms of trade etc.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 5:18 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

Tensions are running high in Liverpool after the knife attack in Southport that so far has claimed the life of three little girls. I hope this is a watershed case, and if the lawyers and courts play the 'mental illness' card again like they did in Nottingham and numerous other cases, there'll be riots in Liverpool. I sense the people have had enough.

I sense the people have had enough of the people who have had enough. 

• Like 3