Southport Stabbings

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Whilst DPP was Starmer made aware of the decision to drop the case against Sir Jimmy Savile?

There, nice and simple. Yes or no. No conspiracy. No misinformation. No news. No nuthin' being thrown at the wall.

Just a simple question.

None of us on here know.

It is entirely possible that he was never made aware of the case.  Surely not every case would be referred to the DPP?

In every organisation responsibility and decision making devolved to various managers and supervisors.  Not every decision is referred back to the CEO or MD.

It is equally possible he was informed but was told that there was a lack of evidence and a decision not to proceed had been recommended.  You may question at that point whether he, or anyone in that position,  should have reviewed the case.  

Given that the Police hardly covered themselves in glory with these cases it is also possible that he did review it and agreed that there was not enough evidence to proceed with legal action.

I rather feel that some of this criticism is based on hindsight which is ironic given the Captain Hindsight nickname he was give by Boris Johnson.

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

Whilst DPP was Starmer made aware of the decision to drop the case against Sir Jimmy Savile?

There, nice and simple. Yes or no. No conspiracy. No misinformation. No news. No nuthin' being thrown at the wall.

Just a simple question.

He said he wan't made aware of it and as Starmer is obviously as straight as they come he's a lot more believable than any conspiracy nutters and the shit-stirring UK right wing press in thrall to the agenda of the owner. Which is to say pretty much all of it...

The riots were the first serious test of Starmer's premiership and frankly he dealt with them efficiently and effectively. Convening courts with the powers to dole out serious sentences, instead of miscreants spending months waiting for a court appearance which has become the norm, and having officers on standby ready to react to any disturbances had exactly the effect that was intended.

Yes but our prisons are already overcrowded. This is entirely the fault of David Cameron and Gideon Osborne and their "austerity" measures. To "save" money they started closing down courts. For example since 2010 the number of Magistrates Courts have been halved. This has meant more miscreants held in prison. A prison snapshot in June showed that out of a prison population of 87,726 some 17,070 were on remand awaiting a court appearance.

Just another fuck-up by the worst UK government in living memory and probably forever. At least I hope so...

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

He said he wan't made aware of it and as Starmer is obviously as straight as they come he's a lot more believable than any conspiracy nutters and the shit-stirring UK right wing press in thrall to the agenda of the owner. Which is to say pretty much all of it...

The riots were the first serious test of Starmer's premiership and frankly he dealt with them efficiently and effectively. Convening courts with the powers to dole out serious sentences, instead of miscreants spending months waiting for a court appearance which has become the norm, and having officers on standby ready to react to any disturbances had exactly the effect that was intended.

Yes but our prisons are already overcrowded. This is entirely the fault of David Cameron and Gideon Osborne and their "austerity" measures. To "save" money they started closing down courts. For example since 2010 the number of Magistrates Courts have been halved. This has meant more miscreants held in prison. A prison snapshot in June showed that out of a prison population of 87,726 some 17,070 were on remand awaiting a court appearance.

Just another fuck-up by the worst UK government in living memory and probably forever. At least I hope so...

'Starmer as straight as they come'.

Leaving aside the Saville stuff, which I have no knowledge or opinion of, you don't get to be prime minister in this day and age by being as 'straight as they come', as pensioners have already found out. He'll have been bought and sold many, many times. That's life.

I'll retract/stop posting re the Savile/Starmer/CPS thing. Thank you for the replies.

3 hours ago, hoopsaa said:

'Starmer as straight as they come'.

Leaving aside the Saville stuff, which I have no knowledge or opinion of, you don't get to be prime minister in this day and age by being as 'straight as they come', as pensioners have already found out. He'll have been bought and sold many, many times. That's life.

Dear me, how terribly jaundiced. Although hardly unexpected after the last goverment:

Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Patel, Jenrick, Braverman, Francois, Badenoch, Berry, Truss, Gove, Anderthal, Fabricant, Farage - the list of truly awful people just goes on and on...

ETA: I take it the "as pensioners have already found out" is about the Winter Fuel Allowance?

A friend of mine was on a flight to France the other day:

"Shared a flight yesterday with a lady who is livid with Kier Starmer for removing the winter fuel allowance, which she then brazenly said helped pay the bills at her second home - in Puerto Banus!

"No prizes for guessing her choice of reading material during the flight."

A typical well-off tory voter with a massive sense of entitlement. It's high time that allowance is only given to those who actually need it.

Edited by P.K.

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Dear me, how terribly jaundiced. Although hardly unexpected after the last goverment:

Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Patel, Jenrick, Braverman, Francois, Badenoch, Berry, Truss, Gove, Anderthal, Fabricant, Farage - the list of truly awful people just goes on and on...

ETA: I take it the "as pensioners have already found out" is about the Winter Fuel Allowance?

A friend of mine was on a flight to France the other day:

"Shared a flight yesterday with a lady who is livid with Kier Starmer for removing the winter fuel allowance, which she then brazenly said helped pay the bills at her second home - in Puerto Banus!

"No prizes for guessing her choice of reading material during the flight."

A typical well-off tory voter with a massive sense of entitlement. It's high time that allowance is only given to those who actually need it.

Ah, the old ' my mate heard....'

I'm all for means testing benefits, but stopping winter fuel payments for people on a little over £11k a year? 

And didn't he say he would be a friend to pensioners? Mind you, he's got a reputation for backtracking, what he really believes, if he really believes, is anyone's guess.

11 minutes ago, hoopsaa said:

Ah, the old ' my mate heard....'

I'm all for means testing benefits, but stopping winter fuel payments for people on a little over £11k a year? 

And didn't he say he would be a friend to pensioners? Mind you, he's got a reputation for backtracking, what he really believes, if he really believes, is anyone's guess.

He posted it on Facebook actually.

By using the term "people on a little over £11k a year" you have given away your agenda somewhat as the UK state pension is £11,502.40 pa for a single person. In other words more than "a little over" as any fule kno. A couple get twice that. The thing to consider is that the leading pensions publication, Pensions Age, reported that in 2021–2022, the typical retirement income in the UK increased to £349 per week which is £18148 pa after housing expenses and direct taxes were considered. The average weekly income for retired couples was £515 per week which is £26,883 pa.

I personally think the threshold for the WFA is set too low. But it's set at a level that can easily be verified. To do it any other way or on a sliding scale for smaller payments would be impossibly difficult.

Have to say I wasn't aware that nice Keir Starmer had a reputation for backtracking. But then I don't read the Mail, Express or Telegraph.

59 minutes ago, P.K. said:

He posted it on Facebook actually.

By using the term "people on a little over £11k a year" you have given away your agenda somewhat as the UK state pension is £11,502.40 pa for a single person. In other words more than "a little over" as any fule kno. A couple get twice that. The thing to consider is that the leading pensions publication, Pensions Age, reported that in 2021–2022, the typical retirement income in the UK increased to £349 per week which is £18148 pa after housing expenses and direct taxes were considered. The average weekly income for retired couples was £515 per week which is £26,883 pa.

I personally think the threshold for the WFA is set too low. But it's set at a level that can easily be verified. To do it any other way or on a sliding scale for smaller payments would be impossibly difficult.

Have to say I wasn't aware that nice Keir Starmer had a reputation for backtracking. But then I don't read the Mail, Express or Telegraph.

My agenda? Enlighten me, please!

Re Starmers u-turns, try big issue.

I wouldn't vote reform or tory, by the way. I don't read those newspapers. 

Edited by hoopsaa

10 hours ago, P.K. said:

I don’t think I’m wrong but last time I looked Farage wasn’t in the last government.

• Haha 1

Could those of you complaining about Starmer please go and bicker elsewhere and leave this thread to be about the Southport stabbings.

In relation to the stabbings Starmer has overseen swift justice for those who used them as an excuse for riots and looting.

Let's hope that the murderer also receives swift justice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Could those of you complaining about Starmer please go and bicker elsewhere and leave this thread to be about the Southport stabbings.

Can I refer you to your own posting on this thread yesterday at 7:24 pm which exclusively refers to the Jimmy Saville business. No mention of the Southport stabbings in there

35 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Can I refer you to your own posting on this thread yesterday at 7:24 pm which exclusively refers to the Jimmy Saville business. No mention of the Southport stabbings in there

In an attempt to stop the bickering.

We could discuss this as it is related.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/nigel-farage-terrorism-latest-news-riots/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoopsaa said:

My agenda? Enlighten me, please!

Re Starmers u-turns, try big issue.

I wouldn't vote reform or tory, by the way. I don't read those newspapers. 

Your agenda is obviously a big downer on Starmer. Simply because he has only been PM for 7 weeks and you're already accusing him of "backtracking" and "U-turns" or whatever. Got any examples from a reputable source?

Re "Big Issue" I spent some time in India and quickly learnt there never to encourage begging. So I've never read it...